FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I re-scale a motion path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
How can I re-scale a motion path?
on Feb 6, 2017 at 2:43:00 pm

I'm bringing a graphic into a 1080 project, scaling it down to 75% so that it fits inside the frame, doing an Auto-Trace, and then copying and pasting the resultant mask path into the Position parameter of a null object to act as a motion path.

Unfortunately, when I do the paste, the motion path is created at the original 100% size of the graphic, so parts of it are out of the frame. I can't find any way to scale the motion path down to match the graphic. The Scale parameter for the null object obviously affects the scale of the null, not the scale of the path.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: How can I re-scale a motion path?
on Feb 6, 2017 at 2:49:21 pm

Double-click a point on the mask before you copy it and then use the outer box points to scale it down. Hold Shift+Command to scale it from center point.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:04:58 pm

The mask is already the correct size when I copy it. The issue is when I paste it, the motion path it creates is at its original 100% size and I can't find a way to get it back down to 75% to match the scaled graphic.

Obviously I could rescale the graphic in Photoshop before I import it into AE, but I was assuming that AE would have the flexibility to rescale motion paths. Is this another thing that, in fact, it can't do?

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:10:19 pm

Here's the original mask path, created by Auto-Trace after scaling the original graphic down to 75%...

And here's the motion path after it's pasted into the Position parameter of the null - it's back to the original 100% size of the graphic:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:34:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:42:59 pm

[Gareth Randall] " I was assuming that AE would have the flexibility to rescale motion paths. Is this another thing that, in fact, it can't do?"

No, it can do it, just not in a way you expect.

Tell you what: do all your work at 1920x1080. Everything fits right, The motion path is right, everything works right. When you're done, nest it in a 1280x720 comp, and scale the layer (the nested comp) to fit the new comp. Done.

I get the feeling you've used some other compositing application before -- Motion comes to mind. You should know that Adobe's Beta testing quality is abysmal. There's speculation it isn't done AT ALL, and that users become unwitting participants in the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

This means that new users don't know if they've got a bug working against them or if it's simple operator error. Stinks, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Feb 6, 2017 at 3:50:39 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Tell you what: do all your work at 1920x1080"

I *am* doing it all at 1080 ☺

So nesting and then rescaling comps is the only way to rescale motion paths? There's no direct way of doing it, as in Motion?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 6, 2017 at 9:05:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 7, 2017 at 1:45:39 am

Not with any degree of accuracy.

You can highlight the mask, and double-click someplace in the mask path -- not on a mask vertex -- to invoke the Free Transform tool. Then by using one of the resulting corner handles and going Ctl-Shift-Drag (Cmd-Shift Drag Mac), you can change the scale of the mask, and therefore the size of the eventual motion path. The thing is, you have to eyeball it. You can't simply type in a scaling factor.

Nesting the comp is the no-brainer method.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]