FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text Comp Puzzel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Swanson
Text Comp Puzzel
on Feb 6, 2017 at 2:02:06 am

Trying to create a streamlined comp to edit text. I've Included expression controls for customization. However, I'm unsure how to tackle a seemingly simple part of this comp:

When I rename the text, all accompanying layers change with it because I have an expression linked to the source text, so that is working perfect. However, I would like to adjust font type, kerning, etc... But when I do, the accompanying layers don't follow the source text attributes.

The workaround is to highlight all text layers and change accordingly. However, I'd like to keep most of those layers shy so when I hand it off, the end user isn't overwhelmed.

Anyone know how to keep attributes linked to the source text? Would you setup this workflow differently? In a perfect world these are the layers I'd like to hand-off:

Using 2015.3

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Text Comp Puzzel
on Feb 6, 2017 at 7:42:14 pm

if its overall kerning of the entire text layer (which adobe calls 'tracking'), you may be able to use a text animator for kerning on each of the text layer layers and link them all together with an expression (perhaps linking them to a slider control one of the layers).

if you want to adjust kerning between specific characters and have that be reflected in the other layers, you'd likely need to try moving the 'master' text layer into another comp and replace the text layers with that 'master' pre-comp.

or, you might be able to use the compound arithmetic effect on solids to composite the master text layer onto the solids, using those solids to replace the other text layers.

both of those options may involve reworking how you have done the boarders....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Craig Swanson
Re: Text Comp Puzzel
on Feb 7, 2017 at 1:48:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions Kevin!

Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved