FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects Explosion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emori Smith
After Effects Explosion
on Feb 3, 2017 at 12:53:31 pm

I am getting ready to shoot an action scene for a feature film. I need to know how to shoot it to allow for some effects work later. My questions are:

1. Can you FX a distant explosion outside and through a car window ( we are in the car with a passenger who sees it happen to a building about 300 ft away?
Would I need to film a certain way...window up or down? ..would love to keep it up for audio's sake.

2. Can you FX this explosion as a reflection on the car window (so we see the passengers reaction at the same time)?

3. Is distant FX smoke a possibility?

4. Can you FX a bullet Spark as it is ricocheting off of the ground?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: After Effects Explosion
on Feb 3, 2017 at 6:05:46 pm

I would check out this website's tutorials: http://www.videocopilot.net/

For explosions and stuff I would check out this product: https://www.videocopilot.net/products/action2/ . Plus it comes with some cool tutorials on how to make the explosions look real when you add them to your scene.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 4, 2017 at 9:04:54 am

Here are a few things I would do:

Shoot the car and actors in studio setting where you can control lights.
Shoot with green screen outside, with window up and with window down.
Shoot footage of the buildings from the car as you drive by through open window.
Shoot high resolution pictures and stitch a panorama of the buildings area that you see from the car as the car passes by.
Shoot the scene with actors in the car as you drive by as a reference as well.

All of the above will give you options - you may end up not using some, but better to have them than finding out you need them in post.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Feb 7, 2017 at 8:52:57 pm

Get with your VFX person, and ask them how they'd prefer it. If you don't have a VFX person yet, get one, then go to step one. You need to consult with them beforehand, rather than just doing what you think ought to work and handing it off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]