FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to avoid huge file sizes when rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Davis
How to avoid huge file sizes when rendering
on Feb 1, 2017 at 2:57:11 pm

I typically will leave the export settings as 'render settings: best settings' and 'output module: lossless'

Basically leave it as the default but its causing huge file sizes. What can I change to keep highest quality but reduce file size?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How to avoid huge file sizes when rendering
on Feb 1, 2017 at 3:31:47 pm

That's a simple-looking question with no single good anxser. Check out this post from Todd Kopriva that describes how to choose an output format:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/729526

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

katya dunn
on Feb 1, 2017 at 3:42:16 pm

Look at exporting using the media encoder and look at the pre-sets. There is probably one for your purpose -i.e. several are for Vimeo, YouTube etc.

Return to posts index

Chuose Osemeka
on Feb 1, 2017 at 4:22:00 pm

What can I change to keep highest quality but reduce file size?

I have scouted around and from what I can see, AVID codecs give the best compression's even with alpha channels.

In previous AFX versions that's pre-2017 version all AVID codec's could export almost lossless renders with alpha channels.
Eversince the Apple ambush only the Avid Meridien codec offers compressed alpha exports.

So if ur renders contain alpha channels, Avid DNxHD/DNxHR , Avid Meridien & Avid Jpeg 2k offer excellent renders with reduced sizes.(pre-2017 )

In the 2017 AFX the latest release 14.1 only Avid Meridien offers an alpha channel compressed export.
The rest can export an alpha channel but not compressed.

Now if the render does not contain alpha channels, the exports are even smaller in any version.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Feb 1, 2017 at 4:36:59 pm

I took into Encoder as advised and rendered in 'match source - high bitrate' and increased the Mbps slightly to a usable file size.

Is there a better alternative? Output will be playback on a HDTV and Vimeo/YouTube

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2017 at 4:48:48 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 1, 2017 at 4:56:54 pm

[Ashley Davis] "Output will be playback on a HDTV and Vimeo/YouTube"

HOW will it be played back? You need to know the playback device to know the correct way to prepare a file for it.

There are compression presets for YouTube (perhaps Vimeo, too) in Adobe Media encoder.

When doing AE work, you always have to plan your work around the delivery specifications. You need to know the NEXT application that will use your work, be that a Blu-Ray player, YouTube, Broadcast (a real snakepit) or an editing application.

Because AE really sucks at audio (5.1 Surround? Forget it!), I typically render without audio & import my work into an editing application (Avid, PP) where's it's really easy to sync up any audio, then export for delivery.

The solution may often be to render in a lossless codec for archival purposes, which allows AME to transcode for additional future deliveries.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]