FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting Hue Lightness Saturation colors right in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
Getting Hue Lightness Saturation colors right in AE
on Jan 31, 2017 at 6:54:06 pm

What is the approach to correctly resemble an RGB value, in AE with Hue Lightness Saturation?

In the past I usually eyeballed it, because whatever I tried, I never got it right with any of the conversion tools. They colors looked way off when I was using them.... I guess I am doing something wrong.

Right now I am working with a template. There is an item in the project and it's color is supposed to be controlled via a control layer with hls controls.
I need to change the color of this item to a specific rgb value. If I do it by hand I get close.... but I thought that conversion tools like this one http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/rgb-to-hsl.htm should work. On the site the result looks perfect. But If I enter these Values in AE it looks waaaaay off. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Getting Hue Lightness Saturation colors right in AE
on Jan 31, 2017 at 9:21:07 pm

The template may be set up such that your HSL inputs are adjustments to some existing value, not absolute inputs themselves. If you wanted to hit a specific RGB value, you might have to change the color of that element some different way -- perhaps its native color controls or a Fill effect.

Of course, you can also do it by hand, using the controls the template makes available to you.

This expression for a color sampler readout might help you:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/color-sampler-using-sampleimag/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
Re: Getting Hue Lightness Saturation colors right in AE
on Feb 1, 2017 at 10:11:27 am

Thank you very much Walter. As always from you - a very helpful and professionally thought through answer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]