FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to use AE for framerate conversion on clips with multiple audio tracks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
irene litapop
how to use AE for framerate conversion on clips with multiple audio tracks
on Jan 27, 2017 at 11:56:56 am

So I am working on a large 24P project with a lot of footage, filmed with a Canon C100 and editing in Premiere. Partway through my project I added an Odyssey recorder to my workflow. Unfortunately, for several of my early shoots I failed to correctly set the record menu to remove pulldown from the camera HDMI output (I just had it set to follow the framerate of the camera, which is not the right way to set up for my camera). So I have a bunch of footage that needs to be converted to 24P with 3:2 pulldown.

As far as I know, it's best to do this before I start editing so that all my clips are in one framerate. I did a bunch of experiments with different ways of doing the framerate conversion, and by far the easiest and best looking has been by using the interpret function in AE, changing the field order and telling it to guess 3:@ pulldown. This is a smooth and easy process and the converted footage looks great. I am an inexperienced AE user, but this workflow is simple enough for me (basically similar to this: https://www.artbeats.com/assets/articles/pdf/pulldown.pdf)

BUT I just noticed a big problem, which is that when I render these new 24P clips, my two separate mono audio tracks (using two separate mics that need to be kept separate for editing!) are mashed into one mixed down audio track. This is not going to work for me, as I need to be able to work with these two tracks separately. I also tried using the audio from my original unconverted clips with the new 24P video, but–not surprisingly–the audio drifts due to the mismatched framerates.

Is there a workaround so that I can both fix the framerate / pulldown on my clips and preserve the original audio information for editing?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: how to use AE for framerate conversion on clips with multiple audio tracks
on Jan 27, 2017 at 4:21:39 pm

I'd do it in Premiere, but if you want to do it in AE you should take your two audio tracks, pan one to the left, pan one to the right, and render as stereo. In Premiere you'll want to import them as dual-channel clips.

Since AE does NOT handle any more than 2 audio channels -- it pretty much stinks at audio -- this will only work on two channels of audio.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

renee litapop
on Jan 27, 2017 at 6:10:03 pm

I can't get it to look as good in Premiere - when I remove pulldown in Premiere it is doubling frames and not guessing the pulldown pattern correctly. I'd be happy to stay in Premiere if there was a good workflow that you can suggest. Just putting the 29.97 clips into a 24p sequence does not do a good job.

Also, I now see that if I use the "original" 29.97 audio in my new 24p sequence, the sync does not actually drift... so it seems possible to use the original audio in a 24p timeline with the new framerate converted clip. But if there something bad that will happen later down the line if I work with 29.97 audio clips in my 24p timeline?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 27, 2017 at 9:04:48 pm

If you like AE for pulldown removal, by all means use it!

It's dead simple, it's fast and you can queue up a whole boatload of clips for an overnight render. Let the computer work while you have pleasant evening.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]