Sketch like extruded shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Sketch like extruded shapes
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:37:09 pm
Last Edited By Adam Lewen on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:38:07 pm

Hi
I am looking for tips on creating extruded shapes or 3D looking repetitive shapes similar to the below eample, using After Effects:

any tips or plugins direction would be very appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sketch like extruded shapes
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:58:05 pm

How good are your Illustrator skills? That's the easiest application to use for something like this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jan 23, 2017 at 10:31:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave!
Do you mean a shape from illustrator to be extruded via the ray-trace or the cinema 4d renderers? if so how would an unorthodox shape such a pyramid would be extruded?
Assuming ill tweak the shape to have one of the faces different (like the pattern in the example)
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2017 at 2:22:16 am

Well, even though it LOOKS 3D, it isn't. That's a 2D perspective drawing done by an artist, and my guess is it was done in Illustrator. It would be REALLY tough to replicate it in AE, and tougher still to animate something like that.

Perhaps you ought to detail what you have in mind to do for the benefit of the group.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jan 24, 2017 at 7:44:20 am

You are right, these are 2D shapes.
I thought of having the ability of controlling the shapes height. kind of having them dance, each different height.
For that a 2D shape would be strange, since im skewing the scale of the 3d looking 2d shape.

That's why I thought an actual extrusion should be applied, I was looking for extrusion methods.
You are right, it would be hard to imitate.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2017 at 3:20:07 pm

Well, good luck. I've never tried what you want to do, nor have I ever given it any thought.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:44:05 pm

For the vertical ones (cylindrical and cubic) make a seamless vertical pattern as base and make the top piece separately.

You should have 2 pieces like in the image:

Apply the RepeTile effect on the base layer and choose the top layer as parent.
For the top layers position property add the following expression:

posY = transform.position[1] - thisComp.layer("BASE").effect("CC RepeTile")("Expand Down");
[value[0], posY]

Move the top layer for positioning and animate the Expand Down property of base layer for height

** keep in mind: continuously rasterizing the layers seems to cause some gaps between repetitions..

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jan 25, 2017 at 10:15:39 am

Thanks for the reply guys!
Emre Anil - great great tip with that repetile expression - i managed to quickly create it and it'll work great (i tweaked it to the expand up) and it works great.

The downside if that, is that the shape wont be able to be "born" a floor becase the pattern will alyays be there (the lowest/shortest shape is when the expand parameter is at - 0.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
on Jan 25, 2017 at 10:33:03 am

I'm glad it worked out for you.. Why don't you just add the bottom as separate layer like the top one?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]