FORUMS: list search recent posts

How best create flexible vignette layer in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Clasman
How best create flexible vignette layer in AE?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:38:00 pm
Last Edited By Tom Clasman on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:39:11 pm

What is a simple way to create a vignette layer in AE?
Like this picture - https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/756424/vignette_001_inline.... - but where the white is transparent, lets the underlying video through.
I also need to move the vignette around as a separate element and apply fx on it, change blend mode and stuff to match moving film elements.
In Vegas this was done in 2 seconds, but I got problems creating this in AE.

Thanks for any advice
PS. I don't have access to Premiere .DS

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How best create flexible vignette layer in AE?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 11:01:43 pm

Um, that's a matte. It can create transparency. What's the problem?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Clasman
on Jan 22, 2017 at 11:39:24 pm

Thanks for responding!

Oh, a Matte?
I'm rather new to AE so I may not know the nomenclature yet. I used to be on Vegas but trying the Adobe tools out now.

In trying to create this, a Matte, I've been adding a new layer on top of an existing footage - either solid or shape layer - and used the ellipse tool to create an ellipse which will constitute the 'vignette' shape. I run into alot of problems in doing so.
For example, the ellipse tool creates a solid shape with a solid edge. Not a gradual transition from transparent to black.
The only way I found to create a gradual 'edge' is to create a mask and draw an ellipse shape onto it, and use the mask controls to "feather" the shape edge. But if I do that, then the shape can't be moved independently over the canvas.
And if I use a mask on a shape layer, then I can't get the shape to blend onto the underlying layer.

That's kindof where I get stuck and don't know where else to look for a solution. I haven't found anything immediately useful in the FX list either. I may be spoiled from Vegas too, because it is user friendly to the point of oversimplification sometimes. So, maybe I'm just going about this a totally wrong way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2017 at 12:01:18 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 23, 2017 at 12:23:11 am

Ah, Vegas. Time to go back to school. After Effects works nothing like Vegas, nor can you imply that the things you know from it will work the same way in AE. They are just TOO DIFFERENT. The same thing applies for individuals well-versed in other NLE's but not in AE -- this baby's its own creature. That's just how it is.

You need some basic AE training -- this application is just too stinkin' quirky and complicated to assume you know what to do. The chances are excellent that you don't. So do yourself a favor -- learn the quirks and complications before you get frustrated, which would be a shame:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/tutorials.html

If you know Vegas, you'll get the differences pretty quickly. BUT -- you have to learn the differences first! And then you can get to the fun stuff.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:43:41 pm

Take Dave's advice and do some basic training on AE. Once you understand the basics, you can start problem-solving things like this pretty easily.

You're on the right track with the mask on a solid layer. You can double click the mask in your comp window to select all points and move it around your composition. Keyframe the path if you need to animate the position.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]