FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tiling video with time offset

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mischa Livingstone
Tiling video with time offset
on Jan 22, 2017 at 6:00:36 am

Hello there,

I want to create a seamless tiling video of the same clip in each tile but where each tile is slightly offset in time. It is the effect used in the following video:

https://vimeo.com/49341712

I suspect that there is a relatively easy way to accomplish this but I'm new to After Effects and am cutting my teeth on this project.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Tiling video with time offset
on Jan 22, 2017 at 3:44:44 pm

It involves duplicating your layer and arranging into a grid. Do yourself a favor and use a script like this...

http://aescripts.com/layers2grid/

It will make your life so much easier.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mischa Livingstone
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:19:12 pm

Thanks. That is definitely a good option.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 23, 2017 at 8:04:22 pm

I think you are looking or the time displacement effect. it can use a grayscale layer map to take samples from different times of a single clip (or comp).

to creative something similar to the 'eye' in your example, first create a new comp. add a new layer and add the fractal noise effect and then the mosaic effect (make adjustments to the mosaic 'blocks' and the fractal noise contrast so you have a fairly discernible block pattern).

bring that block comp into a the comp with your footage layer and add the time displacement effect to the footage layer. select the block pattern comp as the 'time displacement layer' and increase the max time displacement value and go from there.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mischa Livingstone
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:21:11 pm

Hmm. Interesting. I tried this out and it definitely accomplishes some of what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.

However, if I want to assign a differently timed version of the same clip to each box I'm thinking I might need to build a grid, as mentioned in the previous answer.

Is there a plugin that might do exactly what I'm needing. Where one can assign the same clip to each box, then determine the time offset for each box separately?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:48:25 pm

the first part of the example was likely done with time displacement (or similar effect in another piece of software)... this is the part with the big eye that is broken into a grid of slightly re-timed 'tiles'.

the examples with the eye that is duplicated across the screen in a grid could be done in a similar way. you can create the grid with the footage pretty easily with the motion tile effect in one comp. then in another comp, create the displacement map. to mimic the timing offset in the example, try starting with the ramp effect creating a gradation from the top left, to the bottom right, then add the mosaic effect with setting to give you the same number of boxes as you creative with the motion tile effect (like 4x4 or 8x8, etc). then take both those comps into a new comp. add the time displacement effect to the footage comp, and select the mosaic comp as the displacement map, and you'll start getting close.

for a few of the boxes that you want to time displace further (like the eye that looks left, independent of the others), you might need add manually.

or you could do the whole setup manually, scale the clip down, duplicate it many times and arrange it in a grid. then offset the footage manually in the timeline.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mischa Livingstone
on Jan 24, 2017 at 10:58:33 pm

Thank you for the detailed notes. It confirms a lot of what I have been researching and makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing it will be a mixture of effects as you say.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]