FORUMS: list search recent posts

AI to AE 2017 Paste formatted text - Broken!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Lingerfelt
AI to AE 2017 Paste formatted text - Broken!
on Jan 20, 2017 at 9:17:13 pm

Trying out CC 2017 here and came up against a nasty problem:

Used to be VERY useful to paste formatted text from Illustrator to After Effects. It's better to create layouts in Illustrator and when it's done, copy over to AfterFX for animation. And TEXT animation mostly always uses animating thing like kerning, scale per letter, thing like that, something ONLY able to achieve with text. Hence, we need to move the text from AI to AE. Copy/paste used to be the BEST and FASTEST way to do this (other than export from AI to PSD, convert RGB, import in AE and "convert to text" - whoa!), but now, in version 2017, seems like this functionality is BROKEN! Oh no!!

Could you guys confirm this?
Thanks a lot!

Erik.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AI to AE 2017 Paste formatted text - Broken!
on Jan 20, 2017 at 11:37:03 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 21, 2017 at 12:15:46 am

[Erik Lingerfelt] "Could you guys confirm this?"

No. I can't. AE has never allowed copy-paste text from Illustrator. Nor Photoshop. Just like you can't copy-paste stuff from AE into either one of them. I'm not sure how you got the notion this would work. Oh, well.

BUT, there's good news... it's a chip shot to import an Illustrator document of your nicely-set-up text into AE. Make sure it's an RGB Illustrator document.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik Lingerfelt
on Jan 21, 2017 at 12:27:38 am

Hello Dave!

Well, I'm a MAC user. What system do you use? Windows? That would be the only reason why you'd say that this isn't possible, I guess. But really, it is! I've always done this. I even commented on a post from Dan Donner (from 2010!) talking about such Copy/Paste feature. I wonder if this is really something only Mac users get to glance at, then?
I might just go ahead and make a screen capture of this in action for you to see for yourself. It's an awesome thing to do, really! 😉

Erik

Return to posts index

Erik Lingerfelt
on Jan 21, 2017 at 12:49:59 am

And here's the proof.
I recorded this video and set it up at my youtube channel.
Ah, and this time the copy/paste worked from AI to AE... must have been some sort of font bug, maybe. The text and formatting went around AE, AI and PS with no problem at all this time! ☺

Video:

Erik

Return to posts index

Erik Lingerfelt
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:34:06 pm

Have you seen the video, Dave?
It's a really good feature for Mac users - all the AfterFX with Macs I know do this. I'm curious to know why you thought this was never possible. Only thing I can think of is the system (PCs, maybe?). It's good to have knowledge of things that happen around in different systems. 😉

Thanks!
Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]