FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing path appearance in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carola Breuer
Changing path appearance in AE
on Jan 15, 2017 at 4:16:54 pm

Hello,
I am trying to animate a movie with an appearing line. I would like the line to look like a paint brush or ink pen or something. Unfortunatelly I really cant get it to work though... I have my paths in Illustrator and would like to import them. I tried using a suitable brush in Illustrator and then making the line appear via trim path in AE. Unfortunately this does not work. If I just use a normal line it works. But I cant find out how to change the normal line into somehting brush like in AE. Help is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing path appearance in AE
on Jan 15, 2017 at 9:14:33 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 15, 2017 at 9:17:18 pm

If you're used to Photoshop-style brushes, I'm afraid you're at am impasse. AE gives you a very limited variety of ends for a stroke on a shape layer: squared off or round.

Sadly, AE doesn't provide the same variety of brush shapes as Photoshop, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carola Breuer
on Jan 15, 2017 at 9:30:26 pm

really? That is very sad ☹ I was hoping for an ilustrator like brush "ink" or even just something like the uneaven line option illustrator offers.
I found out that if you use the brush tool in AE you can at least make some chances to the tip. But somehow I can`t make the same changes to my path. Is there any way around that ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2017 at 10:00:38 pm

Sorry again! Once you've chosen a brush, that's it. You can't animate brush size or shape.

I guess it's time for Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Carola Breuer
on Jan 16, 2017 at 10:29:21 am

haha yes... sounds like it... so one last idea: if i use a brush in illustrator and then import the path into AE (importing Illustrator file and so on) and then animate it? Is there a way to make that work? so far when I have tried I had two problems: either I could just see a path that had no filling and no stroke and I could not change that or, when I converted the path into n outline in Illustrator it nearly worked, but unfortunately not only the outline was animated but also the inside of the object became filled and empty again in the course of the animation. Why could that be and how do I avoid that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 16, 2017 at 3:59:57 pm

Sorry, but as the umpire sez, "Stee-rike Three!" You can't import Illustrator brushes.

AE really stinks at implementing brushes. AE practitioners have accepted the fact and have lived with it for years. If they ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST have the visual effect of a brush, they find complex & convoluted ways to do it, all based on the peculiar task at hand -- i.e. there are no easy, canned solutions.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Carola Breuer
on Jan 16, 2017 at 4:31:24 pm

Thank you (even though this is sad ☹ )

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Jan 16, 2017 at 7:28:02 pm

Hi Carola, is this of any use?
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/graffiti_writing/

Return to posts index

Carola Breuer
on Jan 16, 2017 at 9:25:28 pm

It wasn`t until I had an idea ☺ (I watched 10 of these videos already) buuuut... what if I copy first the illisustrator file with the brush as an outline... (cant animate that) buuuut then I will use this technice and I dont even have to drav the path because I can just copy paste it as a mask from illustrator with a nutral stroke. This could actually work ☺ and not be too much effort. I will try tomorrow and let you know.
Thank you for your help you two.

Return to posts index

Carola Breuer
on Jan 16, 2017 at 10:03:31 pm

hahahaha ! I did it !!!!! yay !!!! and it`s not even a lot of work !!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 16, 2017 at 11:24:12 pm

Cool! Glad you found something.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]