FORUMS: list search recent posts

Character rigging depth

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conner Foley
Character rigging depth
on Jan 13, 2017 at 9:00:22 pm

Hi,

Long time user of these forums, first time question, so sorry if I have posted it in the wrong place or what not.

So here we go, I am rigging a character with duik, and I am trying to make a check box expression controller that, when ticked, would make an arm move in front of the body, and when not ticked, go behind. With this I could obviously create some pretty 3d movements. I figure I need an expression that would change the layer placement of the arm based on the state of the check box, but to my knowledge this doesn't exist. Any help you could give me would be awesome.

Thanks,

Conner

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Character rigging depth
on Jan 13, 2017 at 11:58:51 pm

if all the layers were 3d, then your check box could control the arm's z-position, moving it back or forward 1 or 2 pixels in z-space to move behind or in front of the body (or other layers).

assuming the body and the arm are currently at the same z-positon, a simple expression like this on the arm's position property should do what you need:

if (effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox") == true) z=1 else z=-1;
value + [0,0,z]

when the checkbox is checked, the arm will be in front of the body; uncheck, behind.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Conner Foley
Re: Character rigging depth
on Jan 14, 2017 at 4:06:43 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for the reply. I had tried this originally and it did not work. Perhaps it was something to do with duik or perhaps just a bug in my system, After agonising over it I have found the solution so will share it here in case anyone else is having the same issue. Basically I just copied the arm layer (and all the duik bones and controls, and placed them above the body, Then used a check box control to toggle the opacity of the arm layers between 0 and 100 only revealing the layer I want.

Thanks again for the help.

Conner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]