FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CS6 crashing over and over

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Neighbors
AE CS6 crashing over and over
on Jan 13, 2017 at 1:13:17 am

I'm having an issue that is preventing me from working on a project. I'm working in AE CS6 on Windows 7, using Trapcode Form - Mir plugin. As I scrub across the timeline, it works typically for a few seconds, then crashes, giving me the attached string of errors. I suspect that my graphics card may be failing, but I only recently started using After Effects regularly, so could it be that my card is not compatible with AE or something? One thing that I'm doing differently with this project is I've enabled "continually rasterize" on the Mir layer. Is there some setting I can change with AE or my graphics card that might prevent this crash?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS6 crashing over and over
on Jan 13, 2017 at 5:46:39 pm

AE relies very little on graphics cards for anything.

You can take some diagnostic steps -- disable any kind of hardware acceleration, disable continuously rasterize, etc. until you get a successful render.

Oh, and make sure you're up to date -- you must have AE version 11.0.4 at thr very least. Additional decimals at the end of the version number are okay.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on Jan 13, 2017 at 7:59:48 pm

Thanks for the response Dave. I do have an older version of AE (11.0.0). I'll look into upgrading, but at the moment, I'm just hoping to finish this project (unless you think an upgrade is necessary to solve the issue?).

I disabled continuously render on the Mir layer and no more crashing so far! However, it changes the whole landscape and lighting (I've rendered a mountain range and I'm trying to fly around it with the camera). Is there something else I can disable that would enable me to keep 'continuously render' enabled?

The "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Lyaer, and Footage Panels" box is unchecked. I'm new to AE and I'm not sure how to 'disable hardware excelleration' beyond that.
in "GPU Information", for Ray-tracing, it says "GPU not available - incompatible device or display driver". My current graphics card is the NVidia Quadro K2200 and I have recently started having some issues with it (might have something to do with me starting to use AE regularly?).

I tried increasing the Texture Memory, and it still crashed when continuous render was enabled on the Mir layer, though it seemed to take a little longer before crashing (could just be coincidence). It appears that continuous render cannot be disabled on text layers? The icon is grayed out on those layers.

One note, these crashes are occuring while scrubbing across the timeline, not while pushing out a render.

I appreciate you taking the time to help with this.

Thanks,
tim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:37:04 pm

Oh, I would certainly update to 11.0.4. It fixed a bunch of bugs in CS6. Can't remember off the top of my head if your specific plight was included, but you need to get it.

Who knows? It might do the trick, and it won't hurt anything you've done so far.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]