FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Video Card for AE and Premiere CS6, Vegas Video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Neighbors
Recommended Video Card for AE and Premiere CS6, Vegas Video?
on Jan 13, 2017 at 12:12:09 am

I'm thinking about getting an NVidia K620 or M2000, only because the card I'm replacing is a failing K600.

I'm using After Effects and Premiere CS6 (soon to move to CC) and Vegas Video in Windows 7.
My system is a Boxx i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz x4, 32 GB RAM.

I kinda don't want to sink too much money into this machine as it's getting close to time for an upgrade, but I still want it to work well in the meantime.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Recommended Video Card for AE and Premiere CS6, Vegas Video?
on Jan 13, 2017 at 5:42:24 pm

Unless you need a Quadro for one of its other features, I'd suggest buying one of the Adobe-supported Geforce GPUs instead. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Here are Ae's system requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

And here are Pr's:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Please note that there are now two kinds of GPU acceleration in Ae itself. This first is the ray-tracing renderer, introduced in CS6, which uses specific CUDA-enabled cards for accelerated rendering. This is now obsolete, and I'd advise against basing your consideration around its needs. Ae CC 2017 has introduced a new Cinema 4D-driven 3D composition renderer; you should consider this the replacement for the old ray-tracing renderer. The new C4D renderer is CPU-based, but it's substantially faster than the old ray-tracing renderer in CPU mode.

There are also the new GPU-accelerated native effects. (This is a completely different architecture than ray-tracing render GPU acceleration in CS6.) This is limited to handful of effects for now (Gaussian Blur, Lumetri Color and Sharpen in Ae CC 2015.3 and Brightness and Contrast, Find Edges, Hue/Saturation, Mosaic, Glow, Tint, and Invert in Ae CC 2017). This uses CUDA or OpenCL on Windows, and Metal or OpenCL on Mac. I haven't seen any specific guidance from Adobe on cards for this new architecture, so I'd probably default to Premiere's list of supported GPUs as a good baseline.

Of course, some effects like Video Copilot's Element 3D or BorisFX/GenArts Sapphire may still have their own GPU requirements or support, separate from the general system requirements of After Effects.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]