FORUMS: list search recent posts

Script vs Keyframe: Who's Resource Friendly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nailuj Cequeña
Script vs Keyframe: Who's Resource Friendly
on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:03:37 am

I've been thinking about this lately and I haven't concluded yet as I am also a beginner in AE.

Between keyframing and scripting, who's more resource friendly. I mean, which one is the fastest in rendering and not using up more memory.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Script vs Keyframe: Who's Resource Friendly
on Jan 4, 2017 at 2:04:10 pm

[Nailuj Cequeña] "Between keyframing and scripting, who's more resource friendly. I mean, which one is the fastest in rendering and not using up more memory."

I think you might be confusing scripting with expressions. A script is a program which targets the After Effects application; an expression is a function which Ae evaluates in the context of a single property, returning a value to that property.

Keyframes are faster to evaluate than expressions as a rule, but how much faster they are depends entirely on the complexity of the expression. Simple expressions are fast enough to not be worth worrying about. I have honestly never even considered the memory usage of expressions; I don't think it's significant.

I use expressions really extensively in my work, because they help me iterate designs faster. Being able to tweak a parameter or two in an expression and have it affect an entire animation saves me hours of design/development work versus tweaking loads of keyframes over the life of the project. In my opinion, it's well-worth the very slight render time increase.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Nailuj Cequeña
Re: Script vs Keyframe: Who's Resource Friendly
on Jan 5, 2017 at 3:11:00 am

Yes, what I mean by script is expressions. Thanks for pointing that out, Walter. And thank for the explanation :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]