FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there any AE lens-blur plugin that'll let you use a bitmap for the bokeh rather than just a shape?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Matthews
Is there any AE lens-blur plugin that'll let you use a bitmap for the bokeh rather than just a shape?
on Jan 2, 2017 at 5:08:45 am

As per title... in a scene where there are points of light that are out of focus, both AE's depth of field behaviour and the Camera Lens Blur effect let you define how those hilights should look. But you're stuck with fairly simple flat-looking bokeh. You can choose how many iris blades to simulate, and you can squish the bokeh to simulate an anamorphic lens.

But in real life, bokeh tends to look more complex. Google "bokeh" and have a look at some of the individual highlights. It'd help greatly if you could provide a bitmap for AE to map to the circle-of-confusion, but there's no way yet to do that.

I gather you can do this with Mental Ray, but I'm working in AE for this project... Anyone know of any plugins that'll provide that facility and let me beautify my bokeh?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is there any AE lens-blur plugin that'll let you use a bitmap for the bokeh rather than just a shape?
on Jan 3, 2017 at 1:55:37 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:41:41 am

Look at Compound Blur. It doesn't do bokeh, but how many people actually need that except snobby and often clueless "artistes"?

For real people, a blur works just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Is there any AE lens-blur plugin that'll let you use a bitmap for the bokeh rather than just a shape?
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:39:29 pm

[Howard Matthews] "Anyone know of any plugins that'll provide that facility and let me beautify my bokeh?"

Frischluft's "FL Out of Focus" effect (part of Lenscare) allows you to use a custom iris shape.

http://frischluft.com/lenscare/index.php

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Howard Matthews
on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:11:07 pm

That's perfect. Bit expensive, but boy, does it add realism when you're dealing with lots of bokeh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]