FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I remove portion of the background and replace it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phyllis Harmon
How can I remove portion of the background and replace it?
on Dec 30, 2016 at 8:36:22 pm

I am new to After Effects (sorry!)

I have video footage of a presentation with slides. The slides are on a flown screen over a white board. I am trying to delete the space inside the flown screen so that I can layer the slides behind the presenter.

If I key out the info on the screen, it also removes the color from the white board behind the screen. Is there any way to cut out the info on the screen without disturbing the rest of the background.

I am working frame by frame which is tedious. Is there a better way to do this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How can I remove portion of the background and replace it?
on Dec 30, 2016 at 8:48:53 pm

[Phyllis Harmon] "I am working frame by frame which is tedious. Is there a better way to do this?"

Ugh. That sounds lousy.

Please show us a still of the shot you're working with. I bet we can come up with easier alternatives.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phyllis Harmon
on Dec 30, 2016 at 9:07:07 pm

I'm hoping this posts correctly. Otherwise I'll upload to google and send the url

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2016 at 9:17:22 pm

Do have access to the slides? Can you get them if you don't? The process gets a lot easier if the answers are "yes" and "yes".

Let's assume that's so. Let's ALSO assume the camera was locked down -- no camera movement to deal with.

I'd use Rotobrush to separate the speaker from the screen background. I'd then use some sort of textured background to replace the entire screen. Then, between the isolated subject and the replaced screen, I'd put the slides.

Think that would work for you?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Phyllis Harmon
on Dec 31, 2016 at 1:34:36 am

Thank you - yes to having the slides. Camera was on a tripod. The videographer followed the presenter as she traipsed back and forth across the stage.

I can give it a try and see what happens. In Photoshop I'm layering the slides onto the flown screen after making the flown screen transparent. I was really hoping that would "magically" work in After Effects.

I do have a slide or two without the speaker in the frame. If I remove the entire background, I suppose I could superimpose her over the empty background. Or perhaps a frame in frame as in Premier Pro (which I'm not fond of).

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 1, 2017 at 10:22:29 am

Instead of trying to key/rotoscope and put the slide behind the presenter I would just edit the slide in to fill the screen and then go back to the presentation.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 3, 2017 at 2:35:20 am

Yes, that would work better. It then becomes a matter of editing rather than a whole lot of effects work. No one wants to do a lot of effects work unless it's absolutely necessary. And it isn't.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]