FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reproducing early 80's VFX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Calvin Hones
Reproducing early 80's VFX
on Dec 21, 2016 at 7:57:31 am

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster (and all that jazz). I'm strictly a hobbyist as of now, though with aspirations of doing more as time goes on, and one of the main ways I've been teaching myself everything has been by attempting to reproduce the 2D bitmap layered goodness of late 80's and early 90's local TV news graphics, as seen here...

Now, I'd like to broaden my horizons a bit, and expand into the early 80's world of star filters and motion trails. I've tried several different methods (echo in particular) to reproduce this particular style of animation...

...but with little luck. I was wondering if anyone might have any pointers to something that might work better? I'd prefer something I can do by default if possible - unfortunately I don't have the budget you guys must have for plugins... ☺

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!

- Calvin, the aspiring amateur

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Reproducing early 80's VFX
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:15:55 pm

Can we see what you have so far and some further description of what it is you're not satisfied with?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 22, 2016 at 2:50:25 am

In addition to what Michael suggested, pick one of all of these you would like to recreate so we can give you specific pointers.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Calvin Hones
on Dec 22, 2016 at 7:00:01 am

My major dissatisfaction is with attempting to actually animate things as opposed to simply doing static shots. I've figured out a good way to create a decent motion trail using a repeater, like this...

...but when I actually try to animate it, the trail and the actual text tend to uncouple from each other.

I also tried the echo effect (with a different sequence), but that yielded this CPU intensive (and just plain ugly) mess.

As for a particular sequence I'd like to eventually recreate - the "Close Up" opening at the :12 mark of the 2nd video is the best example, particularly the "The Different Newscast" text at the end. The station ID at :44 is another example, in particular the way "WINK TV" animates.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 22, 2016 at 3:43:04 pm

for the first

echo does it nicely

for the second

CC wide time and echo will do it. use 32 bit to get decent glows without 3rd party plugin. (maybe you could pull this off with 8 bit but I am lazy)

here's the project file:

10894_80s.aep.zip

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Calvin Hones
on Dec 23, 2016 at 8:35:59 am

Wow, that is awesome! Thank you so much!

Just one thing, though...I kind of forgot to mention that I'm on CS6. Would it be possible for you to convert that project file, please?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas. :)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 23, 2016 at 11:44:17 pm

[Calvin Hones] "Just one thing, though...I kind of forgot to mention that I'm on CS6. Would it be possible for you to convert that project file, please?"

here:

10899_80scs6.aep.zip

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Calvin Hones
on Dec 24, 2016 at 9:31:57 am

Awesome, thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref