FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting a 2D video object to fit inside of a 3D object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Farris
Getting a 2D video object to fit inside of a 3D object
on Dec 20, 2016 at 2:49:32 am

So what I have is a 3D space craft and I need to put a video of the Pilot that has been green screened into the cock pit.

I am using AE CC 2017 and E3D for the 3D model. So this is what I have tried so far. After I green screened the actor, I got the 3D ship from E3D and moved it into my AE comp and no mater were I moved the Pilot, never could I get him in the cockpit. I also tried making the Pilot a 3D object and that did not work either.

If anyone has ideas about how to do this please let me know. I do know that I can mask out the parts that would not be seen and already know how to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Getting a 2D video object to fit inside of a 3D object
on Dec 20, 2016 at 2:24:55 pm

Keep in mind any movement of the spaceship, AE camera, and/or green screen camera will throw off the perspective of your pilot and the shot won't work. If it's just one angle and the ship flies in a straight line, you may be able to make it work.

I've never added a pilot into a flying space craft, but this is how I would first attempt it. First, scale and position your pilot where he should go on top of the cockpit. Then create a group Null in Element and parent your pilot layer to that. Finally, draw masks on the pilot layer to make him appear inside the cockpit.

Return to posts index

Mike Farris
Re: Getting a 2D video object to fit inside of a 3D object
on Dec 22, 2016 at 12:52:20 am

Thanks Daniel for the help,

This was about what I was thinking, but did not think about the group null in E3D. In the mean time I created two E3D layers, in one layer I have the main ship and the second I have the glass cover and controls, this way I can put my video between the E3D layers and save myself a lot of masking.

Also anyone reading this, I would suggest that you send Adobe an email and ask them why they don't have a unified 3D space that will let 2D objects like video and 3D models work in the same space like this software Hitfilm's 2017 version, This is what Hitfilm says: Want to put a 2D green-screened actor in a 3D helicopter model? No problem. With HitFilm Pro, your 2D and 3D layers interact with each other in one unified space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]