FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where is my AE bottleneck, GPU or CPU?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Hodgson
Where is my AE bottleneck, GPU or CPU?
on Dec 19, 2016 at 8:42:48 pm

Hello,

So I recently upgraded a few components in my PC and am wondering what I can upgrade to achieve faster rendering and prerendering times? Since Adobe took out Multiprocessing is my CPU what is holding me back? I plan on upping my RAM to 64GB but how big of a difference will that make? I have done some tests on a 30 second Comp with a couple 3D spinning circles and a radial blur and it is averaging 7 minutes to render it out 18 min if I put Knoll Light factory in. I do plan on doing more 3D work with motion blur effects but I just want to know what would help the most to upgrade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Windows 10
HP Z440
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1650 v4 3.6ghz
32Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M4000 8gb

Return to posts index

Corrie Parks
Re: Where is my AE bottleneck, GPU or CPU?
on Dec 19, 2016 at 10:10:30 pm

Final output render is currently hamstrung by the lack of true multiprocessor support that was stripped out after the 2014 edition. We have all expected that it would be returned but here we are at the 2017 release and it is no where in sight.

The M4000 is quite capable of handling whatever CUDA enhancements AE currently employs and your CPU will be better utilized once Adobe decides to return the multiprocessor render feature. The CPU is most likely your render bottleneck at this point.

My advice is get as much fast RAM as you can and as big/fast of dedicated disk cache as you can, this won't help the overall render time but it will make the work flow much smoother.

I run 256gb RAM and 512gb m.2 Disk cache and most of that gets utilized fully while I work.

Return to posts index

Josh Hodgson
on Dec 20, 2016 at 2:26:14 pm

Thank you for your reply Corrie, I am planning on getting at least 64gb of RAM. Would it help to revert back to CC 2015.3?
Or to get a second CPU or to swap this one for a better one? If so do you have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Corrie Parks
on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:01:17 pm

At this point it is really hard to say what the best option for upgrading should be. I just moved to a dual cpu e5 v.4 system with the expectation that AE would eventually reintroduce features that would take advantage of a greater number of logical cores, right now that is not the case. As of today (Dec 2016) in my opinion the best way to get the greatest performance is to have the highest single core clock speed performance you can get. Which means an unlocked and overclocked i7 is the way to go, or to stay in the xeon family the Intel Xeon E3-1281 v3 @ 3.70GHz will likely get you the best performance. Bear in mind that the next update to AE might make that completely obsolete when AE starts fully utilizing all cores again. So it is a bit of a gamble.

Personally if I were you, I would make the RAM upgrade and implement a dedicated disk cache with a pci-e m.2 card and an nvme ssd like the Samsung 960. With 64gb of ram a 256gb disk cache should be plenty (more doesn't hurt though) When I say that speed on this disk will be appreciated it is an understatement. I would hold off for the time being on a cpu upgrade at least until adobe gives a bit more guidance with their future plans.

As far as rolling back to 15.3 that only would help if you were wanting to final render on cc (2014) as you are no longer able to do that from cc (2017). I might be taking this path so I can put more of my 40 cores to work on my final renders. Good times.

I hope Adobe works this out, I do think they are moving in the right direction. I just wish they would move a little faster.

Return to posts index

Josh Hodgson
on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:20:46 pm

I do have a Samsung MZVPV512HDGL (SM951) 512 GB PCI Express Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD that I use for my cache but I am sure that the RAM is holding me back as well as the CPU. You are right that it is a gamble and I would hate to take that chance only to have adobe flip flop back to multicores. I think that my biggest want right now is the fastest previewing that I can get and that I might need to lower my expectations on how fast that can actually get without spending an absurd amount of money on something that could change with the next update. 40 cores would be awesome to render on! Thank you for the advice!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 20, 2016 at 10:53:26 am

You can watch the Performance tab in Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) while you render to get a sense of how your system is being used, but I'd suggest that your bottleneck is possibly Ae itself.

Starting with Ae CC 2015, significant parts of Ae are being re-written to make it possible to get better performance out of Ae in the future. We've mostly gotten stability back, but not yet much better performance beyond a few GPU-acceleration effects.

Like Corrie, I'd suggest that RAM and fast SSDs for cache never go out of style. I'm waiting to see how future versions of Ae start using system resources better before I commit to any other new hardware.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Josh Hodgson
on Dec 20, 2016 at 2:28:40 pm

Thank you Walter, I do have a 1TB SSD I think I might need to increase the cache size for it. I do see that while rendering my CPU is close to 100% so I am wondering about adding another or swapping this one for a better one.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Dec 21, 2016 at 12:44:50 am

I have found that rendering to an external Thunderbolt drive is faster than rendering to the same media drives where my AE project lives. For example, I have all of my media and AE project file on a 6 drive RAID 5. It might be 50% faster to render out to a connected SSD on Thunderbolt because the system is reading and writing with two different places. Is this what you're wondering about?

Return to posts index

Josh Hodgson
on Dec 21, 2016 at 12:56:47 pm

I am more concerned with the real time previewing and general speed overall but I do render to an SSD and keep the project on a separate harddrive. Thank you for your reply though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]