FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips go down in quality when imported in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bhumika Valmike Narula
Clips go down in quality when imported in AE
on Dec 18, 2016 at 8:42:16 am

I am having a weird trouble with some clips that were recorded in game (Screen recorded, on NVIDIA graphic card) .
The file is mp4, 32bits, 30fps, and with a resolution of 1920X1080. The codec used is h.264.

The problem I have is, the moment I import the clip in AE, its resolution sort of goes down. The color fades a bit, and sharpness of image also goes down a bit.
I have checked my setting, I am viewing the clip at Full resolution in AE. My composition settings are same as clip. Though, I can see the difference even before making a composition.

The same thing is happening with Premier Pro as well. Also, when I open these clips in VLC, Windows media player, and quicktime, I see different resolutions as well. The difference is drastic. Quicktime plays it at worst quality, windows movie player gives the best. What I see in VLC is closest to what I see in AE/Premier Pro.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Clips go down in quality when imported in AE
on Dec 19, 2016 at 12:06:58 am

show us some full screenshots of your Ae interface with the footage at full quality vs what you see in the media players

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Bhumika Valmike Narula
on Dec 19, 2016 at 8:24:22 am

I won't be able to post them publicly, (confidentiality and all). Is there any question that comes to your mind, which I can answer?
I tried opening the clip again in Premier Pro, and well I don't know how, the quality is better this time. I just made a new project, however, I hadn't changed any settings. AE is still giving me trouble. Even Premier Pro is compressing it a bit (Now I see the clips are slightly stretched, but its not too bad, and I can live with it.) I guess I am just going to edit it in Premier pro, and only do text bit in AE

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 19, 2016 at 3:55:52 pm

If you have the option to record in a better codec than H.264, I recommend using it. H.264 is a lossy codec, meaning the image quality degrades quickly on re-rendering or exporting. It also records in only a limited set of standard dimensions, which may account for the distortion you see.

Even your original recording may look worse than the live screen from which it was captured. H.264..... ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bhumika Valmike Narula
on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:18:31 pm

Thank you, will try to do that. However I am not sure how to change the compression from h.264 to anything else, cause what we are doing is a screen in-game recording. Will look into it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]