FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forcing a layer colour through layers on top of it in 3D space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gale
Forcing a layer colour through layers on top of it in 3D space
on Dec 9, 2016 at 11:47:24 am

I have a cityscape animation that is composed of a number of 2D buildings arranged in 3D space to create a parallax effect when moving around the animation. As part of the animation, we have a night scene where many of the windows in the buildings and various red warning lights on cranes, and other elements need to shine through in their original colour - mostly 100% white or a bright red.

The night scene is created by overlaying a graduated illustrator gradient rectangle which is slightly opaque and set to multiply. This sits over the enitre scene and in front of all the other elements in the Z axis.

The lit windows and red warning lights are parented to each building or element and obviously stick to each as we move around.

Now, the night overlay obviously effects these too which I don't want - I want them bright and to cut through the overlay.

So, is there an effect, mode or expression that can take a layer and regardless of what's in front of it, force it to display in it's original colours? What possibly complicates it more is that the bright lit window layers get partially or fully obscured by other buildings as we pan, zoom and move around the scene.

I have played with organising all of the lit layers on top of the other building layers and broken the 3D chain with a 2D layer in-between - that obviously has the effect of showing the lit layers on top in original colour but I don't then get the obscuration I need with the other buildings.

I've also thought about track mattes and pre-comping but as there are quite a lot of layers, not sure if that's the best solution. The other option was to apply the night effect to each building separately but as it's graduated, this isn't a simple colour correction effect I think.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Forcing a layer colour through layers on top of it in 3D space
on Dec 9, 2016 at 4:00:02 pm

I have tried to make a similar setup:

the windows are placed abovethe CC adjustment layer so they are not affected by it. they are also parented to the building they are in so they move the same and their material options are Accept lights-off so they won't accept the light you have in the scene.

now I applied 2 instances of set matte effect for both of these windows set to invert alpha for both buildings that obscure it. make sure the buildings collapse switch is active (if it's illustrator there should be no problem)

here's the project file for you to see how it's built.
10862_buildingsetup.aep.zip

let me know how it goes :)

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 9, 2016 at 5:40:50 pm

I usually do a True comp duplicator (script run) and tint everything I want over to white and the rest to black (to keep the overlapping stuff)

Then I use this a luma matte for the main comp.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 9, 2016 at 5:54:07 pm

that's a good idea. if things get too complex for doing this in the same compe then precomposing/duplicating is the way to go, creating a matte and use it.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]