FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stroke and Fill Shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Sheehan
Stroke and Fill Shapes
on Dec 5, 2016 at 8:57:29 pm

I am having an issue in AE 2017 where I cannot get strokes or or fills to show up on my shapes. If I create a shape layer, go to the contents folder, and drop down to stroke nothing happens when I start adjusting the stroke width, color, or opacity. I have the same lack of results is I adjust the fill. I have tried adding a stroke from the effects panel to it and it give me only a none option when I select which path I would like the effect to link to. It will let me add a stroke and fill by using the tools in my tool bar, but I need to be able to have the stroke follow the path and generate. Is anyone else having this issue? Have you found a way around it?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Stroke and Fill Shapes
on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:08:19 pm

Can you post a screenshot showing your entire UI, with the shape layer twirled open?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kris Sheehan
on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:36:55 pm

I figured out if I add it from the toolbar I can manipulate it in the drop down, however I am not seeing the option to animate the pat, or draw it, like you could in previous versions.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 6, 2016 at 12:38:05 am

[Kris Sheehan] "I figured out if I add it from the toolbar I can manipulate it in the drop down"

you can add it either way. it appears you are trying to work intuitively with Ae and this is not so easy. especially with shapes. invest some time and read how they work. here's a very good reading section about shapes:
http://www.crishdesign.com/books/Creating-Motion-Graphics/CMG5/CMG5_32_Shap...

here's the adobe help files section where I took this resource from:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/overview-shape-layers-paths-vec...

after a nice reading everything will makes sense. for example the reason you can't manipulate your paths is because you choose to draw a parametric shape instead of a bezier shape. parametric shape offers other ways of manipulating the shape than manually adjusting vertices or paths.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Dec 6, 2016 at 12:41:17 am

Hi. Does it have anything to do with your Fill and Stroke being set to None/Alpha on the toolbar at the top of your screen? Do you mean the Add button is not opposite Contents in your Layer's dropdown?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 6, 2016 at 12:46:30 am

[Greg Gesch] "Does it have anything to do with your Fill and Stroke being set to None"

they are somewhat connected.

for example if you set your shape layer's fill in the toolbar to none, then it's switching the eyeball off from the fill parameter of that shape.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Kris Sheehan
on Dec 6, 2016 at 1:47:03 pm

Thanks for the input. It all make sense now. It turns out most of my problem was that I haven't done anything with shapes in AE for a long time and was forgetting a few steps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]