FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snapping Edges and Vertices with Multiple 3D Shape Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Foster
Snapping Edges and Vertices with Multiple 3D Shape Layers
on Dec 5, 2016 at 3:45:18 pm

Hi, I’m using After Effects CC 2015.0 and I’m trying to connect and shrink the width of multiple rectangle shape layers together at both horizontal edge like a ribbon/chain in 3D. The intent is to create a geometric "snaking trail" (forming a "Z" if viewed from the top view) which leads from one quadrant of my comp to the next that the camera follows. In each quadrant there is a cluster of words, individually spaced at different Z depths in 3D, with the trail shrinking its width once it positions itself behind a specific word like a highlight of sorts.

However, no matter how many tutorials I’ve consumed about snapping, it seems that I cannot snap more than one shape layer edge to a single shape. The shape in the center will either snap to one edge of one shape or the other, but will not stretch at either end to meet both shapes' edges. I've also found that I cannot snap one shape's vertices to another shape's vertices whatsoever. Without being able to snap these layers from multiple sides, the opposing edges are just floating out in 3D with no way to properly adjust their position.

Can someone kindly tell me what am I missing here and what might I be able to do to resolve the problem? Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]