FORUMS: list search recent posts

No motion when layer's position is linked to the position of another layer in another comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
No motion when layer's position is linked to the position of another layer in another comp
on Dec 4, 2016 at 11:53:34 pm

I'm trying to link a layer's position in a parent comp to a layer's position in a child comp, so that the one layer moves together with the other. I'm using the following expression for the first layers position:

comp("Child Comp").layer("Second Layer").transform.position

And what I'm accomplishing is getting the first layer to be at the initial position of the second layers that's in the child comp. However, there's no motion. The second layer will move but the first layer doesn't follow.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: No motion when layer's position is linked to the position of another layer in another comp
on Dec 5, 2016 at 10:14:56 am

Perhaps Child Comp and its parent are offset in time -- meaning the beginning of Child Comp happens at some time other than the beginning of the parent comp. If this is the case, your references to properties across comps will not work as you expect, because they are not referring to values at the correct time in the Child Comp. You'll either need to adjust the comps so they both start together and remain in sync, or you'll have to calculate the time offset and use .valueAtTime() to handle it.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]