FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CS6 Workflow and Pipeline Questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Rosemark
AE CS6 Workflow and Pipeline Questions
on Nov 30, 2016 at 5:22:24 pm

Greetings,

TIA for answers to my questions. You'll have to excuse me, I am not a motion graphic designer, but the needs for the project are forcing me to be one.

I am working on a project where multiple short films are stitched together by 3D "infographic" animations. Some pretty complicated ones with several hundred elements each. The transition between the infographics and the shorts will be seamless. There are a lot of these infographics which need to be integrated. Everything else in the project is finished and edited together.

From a project management stand-point I am working on each Infographic as a separate .AEP, (for my own sanity). I would traditionally render these animations and combine them together with the shorts in a traditional NLE workflow.

I WOULD MUCH RATHER
finish the .aep infographics and nest them in another master .AEP where I stitch them together with the shorts entirely in after-effects. Ideally this would leave changes and edits to the infographic animations open until the last minute with no need to render.

Is this possible? Either by nesting a .aep directly or by importing the comp from one .aep into another? I figure this can be done, I just don't ususally work with this sort of function in AE. I am more of a run and gun get it finished and into an NLE type of guy.

If it can be done I would like to preserve the flexibility of the edit up until the final render.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE CS6 Workflow and Pipeline Questions
on Nov 30, 2016 at 5:51:09 pm

[Dustin Rosemark] "I WOULD MUCH RATHER finish the .aep infographics and nest them in another master .AEP where I stitch them together with the shorts entirely in after-effects. Ideally this would leave changes and edits to the infographic animations open until the last minute with no need to render."

Sure. You can import any number of AEP projects into the same project; Ae will create a folder for it in the project panel and bring in everything you need.

I will note that preserving flexibility like this is a two-edged sword. It's nice to have the late flexibility, but it's no fun to have the longer render requirements. Maybe consider using proxies [link] for the best of both worlds. Though the manual suggests using low-res renders for proxies, there's nothing stopping you from using full-quality proxies to speed up your final renders, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]