FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accentuate/strengthen/thicken contours of existing raster image, or add black lining

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Thin
Accentuate/strengthen/thicken contours of existing raster image, or add black lining
on Nov 27, 2016 at 11:55:00 am

High everyone, I have this nice raster image but it lacks a black lining or strengthened contours - areas of color are just next to each other without clear separation other than the contrast and sudden change in tint. In those places a black stroke would be fine. In other places there is already such a thin contour, but I want to thicken that.

I tried to play around with the "Contour detection" Aesthetics effect, but to no avail. I tried to make a copy of my image, detect contours on the copy, and then use it as a track matte to let the rest show through, but also to no avail.

Any suggestions ?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Accentuate/strengthen/thicken contours of existing raster image, or add black lining
on Nov 27, 2016 at 7:59:01 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 28, 2016 at 9:37:56 am

This might not be what you are looking for but it might work:

Duplicate your layer and add the Find Edges effect to your top layer, then set the blend mode to multiply. Adjust the Blend with Original amount to reduce the intensity of the effect.

EDIT: You can get extra control over this is you apply a smallish Gaussian Blur before the Find Edges - it not only reduces the crunchiness of the result, but spreads it out a bit wider.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Accentuate/strengthen/thicken contours of existing raster image, or add black lining
on Nov 28, 2016 at 12:55:52 pm

Here's an example of what I mean.

Original image

Edge processed result

Edge detection layer

I used Curves (both before and after Find Edges) to add extra punch to the edge detection layer and also clean up the whites a bit.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]