FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making copies of a comp where only the text changes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Thin
Making copies of a comp where only the text changes
on Nov 16, 2016 at 9:12:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am animating a series of flags that pop up in different places on a map, and they carry and show the name of the place. Now I want the exact same flag and animation everywhere - except the text must change, of course. How can I keep a centralized layer for the animated flag in order to make modifications for all instances at once while changing the text of each instance separately ? The text also receives some animations and effects which I want to be the same everywhere. Only the text and its size (in order to fit in the flag) differ from place to place.

Thanks in advance !

Charles

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Making copies of a comp where only the text changes
on Nov 16, 2016 at 10:03:41 pm

Precompose your flag animation, then make separate compositions for each new text layer. Add the flag precomp to each of these. You can use the new(ish) Edit --> Copy with Property Links function to use the first text animation as a sort of master control for the rest.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 17, 2016 at 5:29:18 pm

Alternatively, you can just make one comp in After Effects and do all of your text changes in Premiere Pro! The newest CC 2017 release have some nice enhancements to the workflow that allows you to change text in an AE project (including with animation and effects) from within Premiere Pro.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Charles Thin
on Nov 19, 2016 at 3:52:32 pm

Sounds good, but I still would have a little problem with that : I also have post-animation effects which I do not want to depend on the animation (ie I don't want those effects to be distorted). That would imply re-creating the effect in every text layer wouldn't it ?

My current setup, from the top down :
-> Final comp with extra effects
-> Animated flag comp
-> Flag comp (not animated)
-> Text layer

Your suggestion, form the top down, if I understand :

-> Text comp with text layer, and animation copy-pasted from original animated flag comp
-> Flag comp (not animated)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]