FORUMS: list search recent posts

Invert Text Color Against Outside Media Background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Maness
Invert Text Color Against Outside Media Background
on Nov 15, 2016 at 3:15:23 pm

That title sure is a mouthful.

First off, sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I've been trying to research how to do this, and there are a lot of ways that I've read that seem to work, but only for background media that's in After Effects itself. As in, inverting the text color against a present background in the composition. I'm looking for a way to invert After Effects' text color against ANY background I slap onto it via outside media, specifically through ProPresenter. It's unfortunately a necessary hassle to keep backgrounds and text separate.

Granted, I'm still kind of new to After Effects. It sounds like what I need to do lies somewhere in the Difference settings, but after several failed attempts, I'm really hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

To make sure I'm being absolutely clear:
I have to use background images on ProPresenter.
I want text generated on After Effects to invert their colors based on whatever that background happens to be.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Invert Text Color Against Outside Media Background
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:39:10 pm

[Shaun Maness] "I'm looking for a way to invert After Effects' text color against ANY background I slap onto it via outside media, specifically through ProPresenter."

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this. If Ae doesn't know what the background will be, how can I know what color to make the foreground?

Perhaps you could apply a stroke or drop shadow to your text to make it work better over any background. Otherwise, you might make two versions of the text, one light and one dark, and switch them in ProPresenter when appropriate.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:39:32 pm

[Shaun Maness] "I'm looking for a way to invert After Effects' text color against ANY background I slap onto it via outside media, specifically through ProPresenter."

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this. If Ae doesn't know what the background will be, how can it know what color to make the foreground?

Perhaps you could apply a stroke or drop shadow to your text to make it work better over any background. Otherwise, you might make two versions of the text, one light and one dark, and switch them in ProPresenter when appropriate.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shaun Maness
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:58:24 pm

I had suspected that might be the case, and I understand the reason. I was just hoping I had overlooked something you awesome folks could illuminate for me. And it's good to know from people who have vastly more experience with AE what limitations I'm working within.

Thank you for your honesty and clarification, Walter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]