FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing frame rate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Hitchings
Changing frame rate
on Nov 12, 2016 at 5:44:58 pm

OK, I admit it, bonehead move. I rendered an animation with 40 separate renders out of Maya. Loaded them into After Effects to composite them. When I was all done, I notice that the animation was only 24 seconds long, instead of the 30 seconds I was planning on.

I rendered them out as an .exr sequence with 720 fames at 24 fps, which should be 30 seconds long. But After Effect loaded them at 30 fps...thus the shortened duration.

So, how do I change the frame rate from 30 fps at 24 seconds to 24 fps at 30 seconds, without losing any of the 720 frames? I've tried changing the frame rate in both the compositions and in the render, but it just changes the frame rate without changing the duration, discarding the extra frames. So I still get a 24 sec. animation that is only 576 frames long.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing frame rate
on Nov 12, 2016 at 8:19:58 pm

You do it in the Interpret Footage Settings. Go to the project pane. Highlight a clip. Go File>Interpret>Main. Change the frame rate.

I hope you get the desired result. When you lower the frame rate the motion slows down AND jets choppier. If you don't get the desired result, it's back to the 3D application, I'm afraid.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 12, 2016 at 11:01:14 pm

I had already tried that. It left the composition (in fact, all of the compositions) at 30 fps. If I then try changing the frame rate of the composition, it changes the number of frames to 576, discarding the extra frames and leaving the duration at 24 seconds.

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 12, 2016 at 11:06:55 pm

I WANT the animation to slow down, it's supposed to be 30 seconds, not 24 seconds. It shouldn't get any choppier. There's no difference between 30 seconds @ 24 fps and 24 frames @ 30 seconds. Maya renders out the same 720 frames.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 13, 2016 at 12:24:56 am

Let me guess -- you're using the most recent version of AE. Congratulations! You've found the most annoying. bugso far! Undoubtedly there will be more.

Since you don't need the semi-functioning new featues (or broken old features) of the newest version, I recommend using AE CC 2014. It should work. Unlike the newest version.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 13, 2016 at 5:16:23 am

Actually, I'm using After Effects CS6

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 13, 2016 at 11:49:18 pm

So, this issue is still unresolved. I'm still looking for a solution. Seems to me like this should be uber-simple...I'm assume I'm not getting it because I'm not an editor or compositor.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 14, 2016 at 1:11:05 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Nov 14, 2016 at 1:14:36 am

let's try to break it down. look in your project window and highlight your footage. you will see the information about your sequence. see if it's interpreted correct:

if it's not - use interpret footage to interpret it correctly.

now drag in into a new composition icon. or right click -> new composition from selection

it will create a composition of the same duration and frame rate. now you can render it. assuming you don't change your render settings to something else than "best settings", it will render in the same frame rate.

import the sequence back to Ae and see it's identical

try to find where in these steps is the problem and report back to us. maybe send some full screenshots.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:19:21 am

I know that if I drag the correctly interpreted footage into a new composition, it will render correctly. I don't want to do a new composition, I want to change the original composition. Actually, all 42 original compositions.

Correctly interpreted footage with frame rate set to 24 fps and 734 frames long.

But that does nothing to fix the original composition, which is the problem. That's the composition that is rendering at 30 fps.

Composition is still set at 30 fps and 734 frames long. How do I change this to 24 fps, so that the footage is still 734 frames long and plays for 30 seconds? When I change the frame rate in the composition to 24 fps, it changes to 587 frames long and still plays for 24 seconds, not 30.

Perhaps I'm not explaining what I want to do very accurately.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 14, 2016 at 8:43:13 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Nov 14, 2016 at 8:45:09 am

[Lance Hitchings] "Composition is still set at 30 fps and 734 frames long. How do I change this to 24 fps, so that the footage is still 734 frames long and plays for 30 seconds? "

I see. btw I accidentally send the wrong screenshot. oh well.

if you want to change the composition frame rate you do that in the composition settings

so if you change it, you now will have an interpreted correctly sequence in the same frame rate composition.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 14, 2016 at 6:44:54 pm

If I simply change the frame rate in the composition settings, AE keeps the duration and discards the extra frames.

In other words, I start out with 720 frame @ 30 fps and a duration of 24 seconds. After changing the frame rate, I now have 576 frames @ 24 fps and a duration of 24 seconds.

What I want is 720 frames @ 24 fps and a duration of 30 seconds.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 14, 2016 at 8:21:42 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Nov 14, 2016 at 10:32:43 pm

[Lance Hitchings] "If I simply change the frame rate in the composition settings, AE keeps the duration and discards the extra frames.
"

Ae will not discard frames but you now have frames taking more time so you have to make the composition's duration to accommodate (make it 30 seconds)

Dave's last response at the end of the thread could probably work for you too (and will be faster) i.e creating a new composition out of a correctly interpreted footage and replacing it with the composition in your timeline via Alt+drag or Ctrl+Alt+/

let's do this the manual way step by step to see we are on the same page.

1. here I have an imported sequence of 720 frames @ 30 fps. I create a composition from this sequence same like you did by mistake

2. I want to fix that. first thing - interpret footage and set the frame rate at 24fps instead of 30

3. now I need to adjust the composition accordingly. in the composition settings I set the frame rate to 24fps AND also set the duration to 30 seconds

extend the duration of the layer to the end of my timeline

now I have a 720 frames @ 24fps at 30 seconds duration.

what do you say?

here's a name your own price script that enables you to do this to multiple comps in one setup
http://aescripts.com/rd-compsetter/

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 14, 2016 at 10:47:03 pm

Excellent! I think this is going to work.

Now I have to implement it, which is probably going to take all day. But so much better than having to start over from scratch, as Dave suggested.

If I have any more questions, I'll be in touch.

Thank you so much!

FYI, I tried the script, but it didn't preserve the frame count. I tried it a number of different ways and settings. It also discarded the extra frames and kept the duration at 24 seconds.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:25:55 am

If you're properly interpreting the frame rate, an imported sequence should read 30 seconds long when you highlight it in the project pane. If it does, drag the clip onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project pane. If it's STILL wrong, perhaps you need to update your AE version. It should be 11.0.4. Nothing earlier than that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 14, 2016 at 7:48:09 am

Where does the selected sequence read 30 seconds? The only info I see on the selected sequence is at the top of the project pane.

Is this where you're talking about?

All I can see is the title of the sequence, the size (1920 x 1080), the number of frames (00734) and the frame rate (24.00 fps). Where is the duration?

BTW, my copy of AE CS6 is 11.0.4.2

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 14, 2016 at 7:55:43 am

OK, I figured it out. I needed to change the project settings from "frames" to"timecode."

So, yes. The selected sequence is properly interpreting the frame rate and it DOES read 30 seconds long. And if I drag the selected sequence onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project pane, it DOES create a composition that is 30 seconds long.

As I've already stated.

How does this help me with the original compositions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 14, 2016 at 3:27:52 pm

Scrap the original compositions. Start over from scratch with comps that you know have proper fame rates. Why try to fix something when you can't adequately figure out what's wrong? Chalk it up to a mistake, vow to get to the bottom of it later and move on.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lance Hitchings
on Nov 14, 2016 at 6:23:13 pm

I'm supposed to deliver the project to the client today. The composition has 32 sequences of rendered footage and 40 compositions. It has taken me two weeks to build the composite, so you can understand why I don't want to start over from scratch.

Allow me to re-state my dilemma. I have a finished composition that is 720 frames, and a duration of 24 seconds at 30 fps. I want a composition that is 720 frames with a duration of 30 seconds at 24 fps.

I would think that this would be a simple change to make, given that both animations use the same number of frames.

The assumption that I can't figure out what's wrong is erroneous. I know exactly what's wrong. I made a bonehead move when I originally imported the footage.

I just can't figure out how to fix it. I would think that AE would have a simple mechanism for changing the frame rate but keeping the original number of frames...thereby slowing down the animation.

But perhaps not?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 14, 2016 at 6:44:08 pm

Okay, here's a last-ditch trick to try:

Find a problem clip in a comp. Highlight it. Go to the project pane. Find the same clip. Highlight it.
Now you can use the Replace Footage trick: Alt-Drag (Opt-Drag Mac) the clip in the project pane onto the clip in the comp.

If it doesn't help, I'm out of ideas. I'll assume you've done all the easy remedial stuff like restarting, turning your machine off & on again, etc.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]