FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Lapse

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Roughan
Time Lapse
on Nov 11, 2016 at 9:40:34 am

Hello Everyone,
I have a time lapse from a building being built, it has 45,000 jpegs. What is the best way to handle this? It seems to be too much data for AE, and media encoder. Premiere wont let me import so many as a image sequence. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Simon

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
Re: Time Lapse
on Nov 11, 2016 at 12:40:14 pm

Hi there,

How long you want your movie to be at the end? if it's not a 30 minute movie (45000 frames with 25fps = 30minutes) you won't need all those images..
For example if you want a 5 minute movie you just need to take every 6th image from the sequence..
OR
For a 6 minute movie (9000 frames with 25fps) would take every 5th image in sequence so all the ***0.jpg and ***5.jpg files would be enough.

And also, whats the dimensions of the images? If it is much bigger than your movie's resolution (let's say 1920*1080), you may resize the images first. This can be done easily via Photoshop or other image editors. Otherwise AE will take more time to render each frame.

I hope this info would be helpful..

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 11, 2016 at 2:29:42 pm

split them up in folders that have a lower number of stills, import each as sequence, cut together and export

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Nov 12, 2016 at 4:14:27 pm

I generally manage the images first - open some representative files in Photoshop, from different bits of the sequence. Play with cropping and resizing to your output size. If you want to use 4:3 aspect images on a 16:9 timeline for cropping and motion possibilities in post, suss out the max size you'll want the images. Then let Photoshop do a batch - get them down as small as possible, and consider using an Action and saving it until the project is done.

I'd say use the action and have the batch save copies, or do this to a copy of the files. You may find there's a section you'd like to adjust exposure on, for instance, and if it's an extreme move, doing it to the original full size images may give you more leeway (like brightening a sky or something, or cloning something out of a few frames), and just being able to repeat the exact steps you did will save you headaches.

And as others have said, determine if you have too many files - if you find the final sequence is too long and too slow, then you'll have the extra step of time-warping it, so I'd do tests of 1/5 of the files or something. Get the lay of the land before committing resources that could take MORE resources to, essentially, take back out.

I haven't had to do anything like "Select only every third image from this folder" in Mac OS for years, but there may be scripts and tips for that out there. One thing that sometimes you can luck out with is view by icon, and play with finder window size, and "view - clean up by file name" or date - sometimes a window will arrange itself where you can drag-select visually (vs click, click, click) and choose a range of files. If your files start with "file # 0" vs 1, you may have to remove it from the picture to make this work.

Say you want only 1 out of 5 files... make your window 5 file icons across, and the files should stay in numerical order, where you just drag down a column to select. Are there better ways to do this and OSX geeks are laughing their heads off at me now? Quite possibly!

There are free batch-renaming scripts out there that work like champs, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]