FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pause movement at tome point in a path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Thin
Pause movement at tome point in a path
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:05:53 pm

Hi everyone,

So I am moving this little character along a path that I drew. But now I decided I wanted him to stop for a couple of seconds in some location in the path (and run an animation). The trick is, I copied and pasted the path data from a path solid object which I use to actually show (via contouring) the route the character follows. So the keyframes in the "Position" property are not so easy to play with by just dragging and dropping to, and anyway, I need to keep it synchronized both spatially and chronologically with the original path object (because actually the path is also set to draw along the character).

So any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,
Charles

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Pause movement at tome point in a path
on Nov 9, 2016 at 12:30:24 am

Hi Charles. Can you go to the stop position, set keyframes on both the character and visible path - move all the following keyframes along (the length of the freeze, say 3 seconds), go back to your stop keyframes, copy them and paste them 3 seconds later? If this isn't useful can you tell us how you are making the visible route path.

Return to posts index

Charles Thin
on Nov 9, 2016 at 6:36:03 pm

I can't, really. The keyframes in the Position property of the character are dark gray and round, probably because it's more than just the position somehow, anyway it's the result of copy pasting from the path data. I tried, but it just modified the character position sequence in a ... weird way.

The path I made with the pen tool simply. Then I added a (dashed) contour to make it visible, and then I added the "trim path" property, then I set the End sub-property to be zero at start time and 100% at the end. In between the "tip" of the path linearly moves from the actual beginning to the actual end along the path. If I keep that synchronized with the character movement then the tip is just under the character, and it looks like the character is leaving that spur behind. Which is what I want. I just set "Automatic orientation" and voilĂ  !

(Of course the path is not dynamically linked to the character's position path ... I have to copy and paste again every time I modify the path. If you have a suggestion for that as well ...)

Regards,
Charles

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Nov 9, 2016 at 11:33:38 pm

Hi, the circular keyframes are Roving keyframes ( which make your object move at a constant speed/smoothly between all the keyframes). You could convert them but it can end up becoming very messy. My other suggestion would be to precompose your two layers and then do time remapping to add the pause in your main comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]