FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Responsive Falling Bars

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Roman
Sound Responsive Falling Bars
on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:36:23 am

Hi, I'm trying to create solid bars that fall in reaction to drum hits. So every hit of a drum creates a solid that drops from the top of a composition to the bottom. However, each drum hit will activate the bar drop but wont drive the speed of the drop from the top to the bottom. So if there is a fast melody - newly created bars will catch up to previously created bars at the bottom of the comp. I wish I could find a reference video but I cant. I saw this animation on a video game and wanted to recreate it. I turned the drum hit audio into keyframes but am not sure how to use this to drive a sort of kinetic falling animation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Sound Responsive Falling Bars
on Nov 8, 2016 at 12:07:51 pm

You should first remember that AE is a compositing application. You can't have a property create layers. So it will require some ingenious thinking of you to accomplish this. Like creating and animating everything beforehand and have your keyframed track controlling a bunch of precomps with time remmaping(pre animatted bars falling). I won't know how to better explain before trying to do it myself.

In Cinema 4d though, this would be pretty straightfoward for me. I can create particles and and make they fall and collide at real time speed. All this driven by a single value of a track. I can change their gravity on the fly to make them fall faster if they shouldn't overlap much (too much bars on the screen for example).

So the TL;DR would be: In AE I would animate it by hand. In another application I could make it dynamic.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Christian Roman
on Nov 8, 2016 at 12:24:41 pm

I thought that sounded to difficult to do in AE. Thanks for the advice! Jumping into c4d I think the best approach is for me to use an x-particle system with a sound effector driving the emitting bars. Is that the way you'd go about it or would it be better to use mograph? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:45:48 pm

I would start by getting the closest Thinking particles example file. And proceed from there, "merging" TP scenes is usually what I do to get the desired particle control. Then I would clone the geometry onto the particles. The rest would depend on the look you're after.

But I'm sure X-particles can do that too.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]