FORUMS: list search recent posts

Composition Setting for LED screen animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Flandorfer
Composition Setting for LED screen animation
on Nov 4, 2016 at 3:49:23 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Creative Cow! And im fairly new at After Effects.

I have a basic question regarding setting up my composition for an LED screen animation.

These were the specs I was given:
LED res is 1080x720
aspect ratio 16x9
actual screen size is 200x90in

So would I just make my composition size 1080 x 720? Also, in my aspect Ratio drop down I don't see 16:9

Sorry for such a newbie/basic question.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Composition Setting for LED screen animation
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:09:04 pm

Are you sure it's not 1280x720? 1080x720 is not 16:9. The Ratio dropdown you are referring to is for Pixel Aspect Ratio. Unless you have a good reason, you will want to keep it at Square Pixels.

Return to posts index

Matt Flandorfer
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:19:58 pm

Yeah, I think you're right. It's probably 1280 x 720 That was confusing me. I'm doubling checking with the vendor to make sure.

Also, does the size of the LED screen (200x90in) make a difference in my composition settings or will it play fine with my settings at 1280 x 720? They just asked for a mov. file.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:44:33 pm

You're going to want to double-check a whole LOT of things.

1) The dimensions of that display device don't make sense. If you divide 1280 by 720, you get approximately 1.78. That's a 16x9 screen aspect ratio. But if you divide 200 by 90, you get 2.22, which is unnaturally wide for 1280x720. So you need to ask about the dimensions (in pixels) of your animation, and ask for clarification on that display device.

2) Every animation has a FRAME RATE -- the number of frames per second. For theatrical movies, it's 24fps. For 1280x720, it's either 50 fps OR 59.94 fps. It depends on the part of the planet where you live. You haven't said a word about the frame rate... so you have to find that out.

3) They just asked for a .mov file? That's IT? They asked for a Quicktime Movie!
That's like asking for a filled glass. Filled with WHAT? Milk? Bourbon? Water? Antifreeze? QT is just the media container. You need to ask about the delivery CODEC. And if they don't know, they'll have to find out.

And unlike Godzilla, size does NOT matter when talking 1280x720. I can play a 1280x720 movie on my phone. I can also project it on the side of a building. It remains 1280x720.

I'd say you have some clarifyin' to do!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Flandorfer
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:56:13 pm

Thank you Dave.

I'm requesting more information from the vendor.

I really appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]