FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ae 2017 multi-core?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Ae 2017 multi-core?
on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:41:17 pm

I didn't see it in the change notes. Is multi-core threaded rendering back in Ae in this revision?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
No!
on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:33:38 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:43:45 pm

Nope. Not yet. Once again, the Powers That Be at Adobe considered adding new sparklies to be more important than fixing the application's basic shortcomings.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David McGavran
Re: No!
on Nov 4, 2016 at 8:12:56 pm

Hi Dave,

I would be happy to sit down and talk with you if you are interested? We are overly concerned with our customers. After Effects really didn't add much for sparkly this time. We didn't add back MP because that was a non ideal way to speed up After Effects in the long term. We have spent the last years making After Effects truly multi threaded and are now taking advantage of the GPU. It isn't yet as fast as comps that worked well with MP but it will overtake overall performance soon. Majority of the time in the last 2 - 3 years was based on re-architecture/performance and stability.

Let me know if you would like to have a quick chat.

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Director of Engineering, Professional Audio and Video
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2016 at 12:41:58 am

Sorry, but no thanks.

If I had one wish, it would be to read words to this effect from Adobe:

"Dear AE Users:
Beginning with our current version, you won't see anything new in After Effects for quite a while. The AE Team will be devoting all its time to make fundamental changes to the application that should have been made years ago. We will continue to issue periodic bug fixes, but our eyes are fixed on one goal. When we are done, After Effects will once again be worthy as an industry standard application. The beauty of subscription-based software is that we can do this just as soon as we are ready, and not a moment before. When we release the next version of After Effects, we will be able to say the following: It Works. No Ifs, Ands or Buts."

And if you can do THAT, that's really all that any thoughtful user wants.

And with that, I'm off to tend to an AAF Export problem on my Avid machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Dec 8, 2016 at 7:37:48 am

David,

I would be delighted to hear about improvements in multithreading.

As a very long time user, I was sad to see that, while most apps I use now work MUCH faster on my new computer, there is little improvement in AE2017.

I just switched to windows in order to get a massive boost in rendering via GPU's and C4D.

AE does not show well on the very latest, very fastest, hardware. Why is that?

Thanks,

Lance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2016 at 5:58:47 pm

I'm unsure what you mean by "show well". It could mean the less-than-dramatic increases in speed, but it could also refer to oddities in the user interface.

But the post above by the gentleman from Adobe might explain the speed issue in AE CC 2017. However, it does not address what I consider to be a much larger issue.

For example, when 2017 was released, you may recall the emphasis The Adobe Marketing Weasels put on a new feature (aka a "Sparkly", which is my term) allowing multiple user input into the same AE project, something they highly touted as the new version was released. You hardly hear about it any more.

I can't get the new version (company policy), but I can guess why they're not ringing the church bells about it -- IT DOESN'T WORK. Now mind you, that's a guess.

But if it's true, it means that man-hours had to be spent working on it. Man-hours that could have been employed working on the basics. And for what? Apparently, something that makes new renters go "Ooooooh!" and increases the rental revenue. And since it's AE, with no viable counterpart from competing software developers, Adobe's got you hooked.

Meanwhile, the work on meat-and-potatoes improvements to AE's basic functioning moves at glacial speeds.

Why? I believe it's because top Adobe management is more concerned about profit from new renters than meeting current customer... um, current RENTER needs. This would explain why every new CC version goes out the door laden with bugs... many of which break features that worked just fine in previous versions.

Early adopters of new CC versions become unwitting participants in the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

That's why many users forego the new versions and wait for the bug fix to the bug fix to the bug fix. By that time, a new version is ready and the same depressing cycle continues.

I say that if you thought the recent versions of AE were about improving the software, you're only partially right. They're much. much more about luring in more users. Current users? Pay them lip service. New users? Let's get 'em hooked!

As a longtime user, do you recall the days when the threads in this forum were almost exclusively devoted to discussions of techniques and design choices? Sure, there were posts about workarounds but that was because the software was incapable of doing certain things. Now there are an alarming number of posts about just getting the software to work as advertised. Now the workarounds are geared toward overcoming the application's many broken features.

Pretty grim, isn't it?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Dec 8, 2016 at 11:41:15 pm

Hi Dave,

I guess I feel just slightly differently than you about AE.

There does seem to be something weird and unsatisfying about the latest releases but I'm not sure that I could say that I feel like the software doesn't perform its basic functions.

I'm not sure that it has become slower either, but it certainly hasn't become faster.

Like you, my main desires are stability and speed (also for Premiere) but I am not seeing egregious instability, just weird things occasionally (like a frequent crash on quitting that didn't hurt anything but didn't help either).

You hit the nail on the head about half-baked features. For instance dynamic links.... I only had to be screwed by those a few times until they were dead to me. Now if I create an AE dynamic link in Premiere, I wait for it to show up in AE and then delete the one in Premiere. I talked to another editor and we both laughed when we realized that he uses the same workflow. Half-baked and depressingly slow--same for sending comps to Encoder.

I just switched to windows and worked late last night in AE with no crashes or strange behavior.

Multi-Core and GPU should be utilized soon or AE will seem even more outdated.

Lance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:38:06 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 9, 2016 at 1:03:31 am

I don't have many problems, either. I'm lucky to have IT folks, both where I work and at the Home Office, who go over things with a fine-toothed comb.

However, there are so many users who aren't as lucky and who DO have major problems that bad situations like theirs just can't be ignored.

My favorite Tale of Woe is that the newest version can't import PNG files. A bug fix may have remedied it by now... but why on Earth was such a simple thing broken AT ALL? That's what galls me about CC. You may have seen a couple-three bugs in the installation disk days, but they weren't serious and everyone knew a fix was forthcoming. These days a bug fix is little better than rolling the dice.

And I lay the blame for the shoddy state of the software and the service directly at the doorstep of top-level management. In my mind, they're more concerned with being profitable for the stockholders than they are with acting responsibly to the users.

If someone were to develop software to compete with AE, I would be on board in a heartbeat.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 9, 2016 at 4:50:15 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Dec 9, 2016 at 5:01:01 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "My favorite Tale of Woe is that the newest version can't import PNG files. A bug fix may have remedied it by now... but why on Earth was such a simple thing broken AT ALL?"

I am working with PNG constantly and no problems here on Windows. I am also in the forums constantly and haven't seen a real discussion about a PNG import problem post in CC2017 or in any version for that matter. care to share what do you know about this bug? is it not working for you? because I have only seen 2 posts in Adobe Ae's forum that reported a problem and both of the Ops have disappeared without telling if the issue was resolved or not. do you really think that if such a crucial file type was broken, we would not be hear about it from a vast magnitude of users?

it's one thing to complain about the software (that has got serious issues to address and I spare no criticism here), but it's another thing to misinform users across the boards. Team projects not working? who said it's not working?

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Dec 13, 2016 at 5:29:57 am

It's just with no real multi-core capability OR GPU acceleration, the CC Video apps look pretty embarrassing and outdated. Hopefully we will see those speed increases soon.

I also use C4D Octane and, with my new machine, the speed increase is astonishing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]