FORUMS: list search recent posts

Challenges with parenting over 400 layers...Advanced (ish) parenting problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Brine
Challenges with parenting over 400 layers...Advanced (ish) parenting problem
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:08:03 pm

Is there a way to put 400 child layers back to the 'comp' center without having to unparent them first?

I have 400 'dots' in a grid, if i create the grid before i parent i have to manually parent each child layer to each dot afterwards, this maintains the child position but takes a long time to parent each layer.

If i create a parent and child, and then duplicate them both they automatically create a new parenting (each child parents the layer above it) this is quite quick to copy paste, however all the dots are in the same place and need to be turned into a grid. (not to hard using the align function.)

however once i have done that i find all my child layers are (naturally) in different positions, and because the co-ordinates are now 'local' and relative to the parent i cannot just reset them all back to the middle.

I found the tutorials on tracking child data, however the effect i need is essentially the same as unparenting 'reseting position' and then reparenting.

with this many layers it takes a very long time, just hoping someone has some ideas.

Let me know if you think of anything

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Josh Brine
Re: Challenges with parenting over 400 layers...Advanced (ish) parenting problem
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:14:27 pm

I Just Discovered a Script called Layer Chain, which automatically parents selected layers to the one above it.

using this script I can create the grid first, then create the child layers in their starting position, then layer them all automatically so they will animate with the circles!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]