FORUMS: list search recent posts

Option Replace Shape Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jono Gaughan
Option Replace Shape Layer
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:15:42 pm

Hey all,

I know you can't directly "option+replace" a shape layer because it doesn't have a source, but is there any roundabout way to do this? I have multiple parented layers with several position/rotation properties with expressions and effects applied, so manually copying/pasting those properties over to new layers will be a pain. I don't need the shape path to carry over, I only need properties and effects.

Is there a way to convert a shape layer to a solid layer or something? If not, it's not the end of the world, it just seems like it should be possible.

Thanks,
Jono

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Option Replace Shape Layer
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:21:00 pm

What's wrong with just leaving the shape layer in the comp and turning off its visibility with the little eyeball icon? You won't be able to see it, and the animated properties will still be there.

And if you don't want it cluttering up your composition, make it a shy layer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jono Gaughan
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:34:57 pm

Dave, thanks for the prompt response.

Now that I re-read my question, it was a bit confusing. Basically, I'm wondering if there is a way to replace a shape layer with a JPEG (for example) so that it keeps all of the layer properties (position, rotation, expressions, etc.)?

Thanks again,
Jono

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:50:32 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:51:29 pm

You can copy-paste the modified & animated attributes into the JPEG if you want. I doubt the anchor point, position & scale will be right, so you'll have to futz with those.

Now, you DID already try the Replace Footage command to replace the shape with the JPEG, correct? I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's a no-no or not. And if you haven't, give it a shot. It might work. What's the worse that could happen? You have to undo a couple of things and go with Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jono Gaughan
on Nov 1, 2016 at 6:23:04 pm

You're right, copying/pasting the attributes/properties from the shape layer to the JPEG will work, but I have over a hundred layers, so it will take a long time to do that manually. Especially if I have to go back in and futz with each one afterwards.

I can't do the "replace footage" command because a shape layer doesn't have a source (unless there's another way besides "option+drag" or "option+command+/"). I could do this with any other type of layer though (still, video, pre-comp, null, etc.).

Maybe this feature doesn't exist. I understand why it wouldn't, but hopefully it will be added in a later version of AE. It would be nice if there was a way to replace or convert a shape layer to something with a source (like a solid layer or a null), so that it could be swapped out later.

Thanks for the tips. Any other ideas/work-arounds would be helpful, otherwise I'll get started on the good ol' manual route!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]