FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disks optimization for better rendering and workflow!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Everton Gois
Disks optimization for better rendering and workflow!
on Nov 1, 2016 at 10:34:25 am

Hi all,

I just got a new PC at my workplace and I'm not sure what is the best way to configure the drives for AE.
My machine its HP Z640 with 128GB RAM, M4000 with 2x HP 256GB Turbo Z drives + 1TB HDD SATA.
I work remotely most of the times and because of that , all current project files+ its media are on Dropbox ( Normal HDD ).
At the moment, the drive configuration is:
(C:/)1x HP Z Turbo: OS + Programs
(D:/)1x HP Z Turbo: AE Cache + exports
(E:/)1x 1TB HDD: Media files + Dropbox.

Question:
1- Should I move DB to Z Turbo drive with OS and Programs ( C:/)
2- Can I leave my exports on (D:/) together with cache files or leave cache files alone?

Appreciate your help

Everton

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Disks optimization for better rendering and workflow!
on Nov 1, 2016 at 2:27:19 pm

[Everton Gois] "1- Should I move DB to Z Turbo drive with OS and Programs ( C:/)"

Depends how big your Dropbox is. I couldn't fit mine on a 256 GB disk. I think you're better off leaving it on the spinning rust so you don't inadvertently run out of space at the wrong time.

[Everton Gois] "2- Can I leave my exports on (D:/) together with cache files or leave cache files alone?"

I doubt this will make a measurable difference. I'd export to the E: drive, too, to leave maximum space on the smallish second Turbo Drive for the cache.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Everton Gois
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:37:03 pm

Hi Walter, Thanks for helping me out on this.

My DB is not huge, only has current job on it and at the moment its under 40GB.
So, as you say...I'm not making any major mistake here or wasting money on Z turbo drives.
As I mentioned earlier, this is new machine and comparing to my older machine ( HP Z420) which had 2x SSD drives+ 1TB HD, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia K4000, it doesn't seems to be a blast or causing us to should out "WOW...This is fast!", instead of "Its alright", not mentioning of spending £5000 for it.

Thank you so much

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:46:50 pm

[Everton Gois] "this is new machine and comparing to my older machine ( HP Z420) which had 2x SSD drives+ 1TB HD, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia K4000, it doesn't seems to be a blast or causing us to should out "WOW...This is fast!", instead of "Its alright", not mentioning of spending £5000 for it."

These big workstations really shine with Ae's multiprocessing feature.

This was removed starting in Ae CC 2015 (version 13.5) when the Ae development team started a major rearchitecture of the rendering/preview engine.

I do all my work in Ae CC 2015.3, but most of my rendering from Ae CC 2014, to take advantage of my big workstations with Ae's multiprocessing. The project files are compatible, so it's no big deal to bounce back and forth.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Everton Gois
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:50:18 pm

"I do all my work in Ae CC 2015.3, but most of my rendering from Ae CC 2014, to take advantage of my big workstations with Ae's multiprocessing."..

Ok, I'll do that too. Thanks

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]