FORUMS: list search recent posts

SOS! Easy Color Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
SOS! Easy Color Question
on Oct 25, 2016 at 7:16:09 pm

Nobody wants to answer my color questions here or in the PS section. But I'm not going away!

OK, now I'm really confused. I calibrated my monitor yesterday. Today I'm trying to figure out the path forward.

I open an AE project. I put a big red solid layer in. Now I change the Project Settings > Color Settings > Working Space, and NO MATTER WHAT I CHOOSE, neither the appearance of my red nor it's hex changes. WHAT IS GOING ON???? I would have thought that the color would change. :(

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
Re: SOS! Easy Color Question
on Oct 25, 2016 at 7:20:04 pm

OK, scratch that. I guess I had made so many changes that AE even stopped talking to me. The appearance does change! Whew.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Oct 25, 2016 at 7:51:55 pm

BUT, BUT, BUT,

I just exported from No color space, sRGB, and AppleRGB, and despite setting the output profile to be the working space and hence expecting three different looking videos, they all look the same. What is going on?

This relates to my other question about which codecs embed the color information. Oy Vey!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 25, 2016 at 8:28:58 pm

Reading through this page might help: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/color-management.html

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Oct 25, 2016 at 9:11:20 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks. I know that page. But it doesn't explain why my exported videos all look the same despite looking different in AE. The "videos" consist of a single hexidecimal color. The hex never changes. The working spaces do change.

My assumption is that the videos are embedding any ICC profiles.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Oct 25, 2016 at 9:12:24 pm

Argh. I meant to say "aren't embedded".

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Oct 25, 2016 at 9:23:08 pm

Yeah, it's more the container/codec question. If I start with a hex in the Apple RGB working space and then export through AE to the lossless default, then the Apple RGB ICC info doesn't seem to get embedded. If on the other hand I export through AME to h.264, then the Apple RGB ICC info does seem to get embedded and my red turns a bit orange like it looks in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]