FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logo with animated kerning for big screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Gugeler
Logo with animated kerning for big screen
on Oct 24, 2016 at 4:34:48 pm

Hello everybody,
I´ve been doing some After Effects projects for hobby size projects. Now Im able to help someone with a movie title for the "big screen" and have following problem.

I have a 2k composition in AFX, with 32 bit depth, will export as OpenEXR file sequence.
The movie title is just 7 letters that should be "kerning" (don´t know if it´s correct term)

I have the logo as eps file, have every letter as precomp, and move each letter (except the middle one) with position keyframes at start and end of 15 second composition.
When I preview it, it already looks kind of strange and not smooth, but apparently (Im not at the cinema myself, but get the information from there) it looks even worse on the big screen. "Kind of pixely and stuttery".

Sooo, I searched for the problem. The only thing I found was a "1 px at a time" issue with rolling titles. Having even pixels every frame.

Now... When I use an expression to move the graphic a full even pixel per frame, the whole animation has a specific speed.
What do I do when it should be animated way slower? It will always have uneven pixels then?

Is there any other way to solve a problem like this? I understand "full contrast titles" (it is full black on full white) always makes problems but still.
On top of everything I put a fast blur of 0,2 which didnt help.

Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Oliver Nalbach
Re: Logo with animated kerning for big screen
on Oct 25, 2016 at 1:05:11 pm

I think the word you are looking for is not "kerning" but "aliasing" and if I search for that I get a ton of possible reasons for it, some also specific to HDR output.

Return to posts index

Simon Gugeler
Re: Logo with animated kerning for big screen
on Oct 25, 2016 at 1:59:17 pm

The only result regarding that problem I found was one post at a red forum. Someone posted an expression for rolling titles.
Anyway. Apparently the animation problem is solved with exporting it with alpha instead of background included.
Now there are some aliasing issues left in the letters. The only help or results I found about that, are "there is no way, you have to "hide" the flaws - working with even more blur, grain or whatever".
Hmm, trying TIF instead of EXR now, maybe there is some change.

As for example. Actually it's with every text in AFX. Just create a 2K or 4K comp, add some text, and export it.
Here is a photo from a cinema screen, how the graphic looks like (which looks perfectly fine on a standard monitor): img_0062.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]