FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can i Change Color Of a Glossy Object in AfterEffects ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashraf Khan
Can i Change Color Of a Glossy Object in AfterEffects ?
on Oct 22, 2016 at 4:32:28 pm

I would like to Change Color of a Glossy moving Object in a Video in AfterEffects.
Sample image Attached below,

Can i change this Coffee Cup Color in the Video ?
I have tried some color changing methods in Aftereffects, it does not worked in the Glossy object.
Is there any way to change the color of this coffee cup ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can i Change Color Of a Glossy Object in AfterEffects ?
on Oct 22, 2016 at 5:10:37 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 22, 2016 at 5:21:58 pm

How much work are you willing to do to change the color? Several hours? Several days if the camera is in motion? You'll also have to do a re-shoot, matching the lighting and camera angles... or re-construct the cup in a 3D application, animating it if necessary to match camera motion. Are you willing to do those things?

If you are not, live with the cup's original color. This is the price someone has to pay by overlooking a detail -- the cup color -- or changing one's mind after the shoot is over.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 22, 2016 at 5:24:13 pm

Ashraf -

There's a ghost of a chance that you might be able to do it using Secondary Color Correction. Colorista (Red Giant) and Speedgrade come to mind (even Premiere Pro has some secondary color correction capabilities). This would have been a lot easier if the cup had not been black ceramic - with red or yellow, the job would be much easier. But look up some tutorials on secondary color correction and give them a shot. It's basically a matter of picking the color range you want to change, and then using hue, saturation, and brightness values to contol where the color shift occurs. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 22, 2016 at 5:33:52 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 22, 2016 at 5:54:28 pm

you have limited options here.

you need to divide this tasks into 2 steps:
1. isolating the object
2. replacing the color using a set of color filters for the color you want.

isolating the object
if this was a vibrant color, you could use adjustments to key out the object. but because the object is black and there is black in many other parts of the footage, this means you would have to use rotobrush or rotoscoping i.e trace the object throughout the video.

replacing the color
here's a nice tutorial for replacing black color. implement the workflow principles in Ae and if you are lucky this could work. you may have to adjust the specular highlights if the object is brighter.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ashraf Khan
on Oct 22, 2016 at 6:28:48 pm

Thank You for the Tutorial.

Here is the whole video : http://www.mediafire.com/file/oojnusxahsczo6z/CoffeeCup.mov
If i rotoscope and change the Color, will i get perfection ?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 22, 2016 at 7:11:38 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 22, 2016 at 7:32:39 pm

[Ashraf Khan] "If i rotoscope and change the Color, will i get perfection ?
"

perfection? hardly : )

the real question is what color do you want to change it to? there are not many options because this is dark material. it would take an amount of work to make it anything brighter. I would experiment in photoshop first to get the color I want. this looks fine to me.

if you find the right combination in terms of color then you can go on to rotoscoping. as for rotoscoping: this is not the worst roto job you could get. I would track this in Mocha:
1. track the coffee mug with the plate - only transform (rotation, scale, position)

2.export transformation data and click invert so it will stabilize my shot

3. apply it to the shot itself - now I have a stabilized shot where the coffee mug is barely moving.

4. create a solid that will be my track matte to mask the coffee and the plate. also need to roto the hand.

5.create keyframes for the mask path where they need to as the shape changes. when I am done I will have a matte for my color correction adjustments that will mask the coffee and the plate completely.

6. precomp the composition and re-introduce the motion from mocha by pasting the tracking data (but not clicking invert this time) to a null

7. parenting the stabilized precomp to that null at the first frame in which I started the tracking in Mocha.

8. collapse the precomp.

hope you got this...

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ashraf Khan
on Oct 23, 2016 at 7:03:55 am

Thank You So Much.
I'll try this method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]