FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating vertices in a shape layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maddoux
Animating vertices in a shape layer
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:28:34 pm

Greetings!

I have a shape layer masking a part of an image.
I have animated the shape to move from right to left across the image.
Is there a way to animate the vertices of the shape to change its shape as it moves from right to left?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Animating vertices in a shape layer
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:33:22 pm

A shape layer can contain several types of contents. If your shape in question contains a path, you can keyframe it and animate as you would a mask. If its a parametric one (rectangle, sphere, etc.) I don't believe its possible.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:39:38 pm

Thank you Cassius.

I created a shape using the pen tool and am using it as a Alpha Inverted Matte to the layer below it.
Does that make a difference??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:59:08 pm

[Tim Maddoux] ".... and am using it as a Alpha Inverted Matte to the layer below it."

It sounds like you're doing Rotoscoping. If that's the case, may we assume you tried Rotobrush, and it didn't do the job for you?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Oct 21, 2016 at 4:04:31 pm

If you have indeed a shape layer, using it as a matte would not matter on your ability to change its path vertices. All you have to do is twirl it down until you see the contents and eventually the path.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:00:37 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 21, 2016 at 5:06:45 pm

[Tim Maddoux] "I have a shape layer masking a part of an image"

while you can use shapes to mask images, I find shape layers not efficient in many cases for this type of work. shapes are robust, complex and involve many possibilities, Ae Masks on the other hand only have a few parameters and this alone could potentially save you trouble with twirling down contents and what not. in addition, you can only use a shape layer as a matte if you set it as an alpha matte, a mask on the other hand can be applied on the image itself and if rotoscoping is the case, it probably should because you can lock different masks in the same layer (shapes paths cannot be locked), you could color label masks differently (shape is with the layer's color label) and you could also use the handy layer window that offers different matte views. and you cannot feather shapes! (you could use a blur effect but that's not the same thing)

[Tim Maddoux] Is there a way to animate the vertices of the shape to change its shape as it moves from right to left?

if you want to use shapes - you can certainly animate the vertices. you can reveal the shape contents and you will see a path in there.

you can animate it as you please. if you created a parametric shape (with the rectangle tool) you would have to first convert it to bezier path and set your first vertex point before you start animating. or drag with alt from the parametric shapes icon.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Oct 22, 2016 at 2:50:47 am

As always, the help and assistance here never disappoints.
Dave, thank you for your reply. The roto brush was the answer.
Roei, thank you for helping me better understand the answer as well as clerifying a better work-flow.
Your help and time gentalmen is so greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]