FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video is available to view while Rendering, but not bars in timeline to show the layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bremerkamp
Video is available to view while Rendering, but not bars in timeline to show the layer
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:19:31 pm

I am probably not explaining this well, but that is probably because this has never happened. My animation is available to view in the preview display, but in the timeline, the layer shows no information (keyframes, or box indicating layer on timeline). I have attached a photo so you can see clearly what I mean. I have selected the background layer, and this layer is highlighted in the timeline, but as you can see...there is not indication of a layer in the timeline other than the layer name being highlighted. Any help? Could this be a RAM issue? The file is pretty big.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Video is available to view while Rendering, but not bars in timeline to show the layer
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:40:47 pm

You have over 1,000 layers in your timeline -- are you sure you have the correct one selected? If you select the background in the viewer by clicking it in the viewer, you can press the X key on your keyboard to scroll the timeline panel to the selected layer.

Another way to approach a diagnosis here might be selecting your mystery layer 998 and then pressing the I or O key to jump to its in or out point on the timeline.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dustin Bremerkamp
Re: Video is available to view while Rendering, but not bars in timeline to show the layer
on Oct 11, 2016 at 4:28:51 pm

Thank you Walter for helping me out! I am absolutely certain that is the correct layer....but the issue is, its not only that element, but almost 80-90% of my layers are missing the bars. Very few have them. I have restarted my computer and no luck. I just purged my cache files...could that be causing the problem?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30:53 pm

I wonder if it's a bug? Do you get layers back in the timeline when you have fewer of them? If you precompose the first 800 or 900 layers, what happens in your timeline panel?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2016 at 5:21:14 pm

That purple pattern on the orange looks suspiciously like the dark parts of SMPTE color bars, an indication of missing footage. I'm sure you've saved the project, so it would be easy to exit AE, open the project, and see if anything's missing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dustin Bremerkamp
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:08:37 pm

Thanks for your help Dave. I restarted and opened the project multiple times...no cure. I was able to open an auto-save file (from 12 hours ago), and the layers are back. Disappointing, since I have lost hours of work, but not the worst scenario.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bremerkamp
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:01:09 pm

Interesting idea.....I tried composing all the layers and no help. The weird thing is....I opened an auto-save file, and the layers are all there. This will be fine, but its disappointing since I've lost some work since my last save.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 6:52:36 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 11, 2016 at 6:54:02 pm

what Ae version? What Os? exact numbers please
this is weird

you got a few 100's in there. the index numbers are supposed to go by order.

if you want, upload the aep file (drag it here) so we can quickly solve this mystery.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:22:24 pm

[Roei Tzoref] "you got a few 100's in there"

They're going 1000 and up. It's just showing three numbers.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:34:36 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:21:58 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "They're going 1000 and up. It's just showing three numbers.
"

Ah ha :)

[Dustin Bremerkamp] "The weird thing is....I opened an auto-save file, and the layers are all there. This will be fine, but its disappointing since I've lost some work since my last save."

a few thoughts:
1. Workflow - this is a staggering number of layers. could this be pushing the limits of the U.I? I don't know. maybe pre-composing what needs to be pre-composed could help you. you only need to leave all the layers in the same timeline if everything is interacting in the same scene. if this is not the case, you could probably make you timeline much more manageable (and un-buggy perhaps) by pre-composing different scenes of shots. I imagine that navigating through this timeline can be very annoying.

2. Preferences - see if you got hardware acceleration checked in the preferences display option. try checking or unchecking. I would also try to reset your preferences.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]