FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a player ranking page for a film.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Keating
Creating a player ranking page for a film.
on Sep 30, 2016 at 8:40:55 pm

Hi and thanks for your time.

I am just returning to after effects after a 3-year break and I am realizing that I have forgotten a lot.

I am attempting to make an animated ranking board. It will display 20 players that move up and down the ranking throughout a film. The numbers 1-20 will remain static but the names will move around. I need to create a page with a texture and then divide it up into 20 horizontal nameplates that will jockey for position. What is the best way of going about this? I started attempting this on my own and my best guess on this would take an eternity. I'm hoping someone has a quicker way of accomplishing this.

Best,

John

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating a player ranking page for a film.
on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:21:31 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:30:22 pm

How is this going to be used? Do you plan to show all 20 names at once?

Just for the heck of it, I answered those two questions for myself: "on TV" and "yes". Then I started doing a little arithmetic.

My station broadcasts at 1280x720. So how much vertical room does a name get? You want some empty room at the top & bottom of the screen... maybe a name's worth. So you divide the vertical dimension by 22 -- 720/22=32.727272... You've got 32 pixels in the vertical dimension to work with for each name.

Is that going to be big enough for you?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Keating
on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:35:58 pm

Thanks for taking the time to so carefully consider my question.

I am following 2 players throughout a season of a sporting event. Those characters rise and fall in the rankings during the film and end up eking by and getting into the finals tournament. I intend on making the page and nameplates 3d and then using the camera to follow each nameplate as it pops out of its placement and lands into a new placement eg. 16th position to 19th. and so on. I will only show a wide shot of the list at the beginning of the film but again I would probably make the page 3d and use a camera move for this as well.

Thanks,

Best,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 1, 2016 at 2:57:01 am

That helps. You're not limiting yourself to a mostly-static display. If this were my project, I'd give a lot of thought to the precise kind of motion you want to use for this. It will influence the technique a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 1, 2016 at 11:31:25 pm

Which part are you concerned with taking too much time? Manually moving the names around? Once you have the ranking graphic built, it will certainly take time to animate, but it shouldn't be prohibitive. I'm imagining popping the names out in z space and moving them up or down in y space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]