FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator Strokes get converted to Filled shapes in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
Illustrator Strokes get converted to Filled shapes in AE?
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:13:41 pm

I have an illustrator graphic made up of all strokes. When imported into AE and converted to shape layers, all the strokes turn into filled shapes matching the thickness of the AI graphic's strokes. I want them to stay as strokes so I can utilize Trim paths. What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Illustrator Strokes get converted to Filled shapes in AE?
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:26:57 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:28:06 pm

Is there a reason why you need to go that route? You could just import the Illustrator document and use it. No shapes necessary. Make sure its RGB and not CMYK. And organize it -- anything you want as an individual layer in AE should be an individual layer in Illustrator.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:31:14 pm

I want to be able to animate each individual stroke drawing on. If I bring it in as an illustrator file I would have to animate all that by hand with masks following the strokes or using the draw on tool. All of which would take forever. Having the strokes as individual strokes in AE allows you to use the trim paths feature to automatically draw on the strokes. I do it all the time but for some reason this illustrator file's paths get converted to filled shapes in AE.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:35:54 pm

Discovered the issue!! The path style has to be basic otherwise AE converts it's thickness to a shape.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:44:09 pm

Yep. if you have anything but constant width and basic brush, it's going to be convert to fill.

this doesn't mean you need to compromise your creative vision. you can still draw a path in the middle of your illustrator fill and use this as a base for a reveal either by stroke effect or even trim path via Alpha Matte.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Sep 30, 2016 at 7:45:16 pm

good call

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]