FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change kerning of text + write on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmett Brown
Change kerning of text + write on
on Sep 28, 2016 at 8:37:06 am

Hi,
I have a little problem. I want to animate kerning of text, so letters are coming together from left and right. That's easy, tracking animator and it's done. Also I want to have writing on effect. Also easy, write-on efect or generate stroke ;) But combining those two is something I have no clue how to do it :( Idea is that letters are coming from left and right and also writing on, like here

Any idea how to do it?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Change kerning of text + write on
on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:53:46 am

in the reference the per character reveal is selective and precise. to achieve this kind of control I would separate the letters to layers (this script is handy: http://aescripts.com/decomposetext/), stroke each by manually creating a mask path at the center of each and use the stroke effect, then through cascade parenting setting the tracking is easy. if you need to center the tracking I would use a null. like this:

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Emmett Brown
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:07:59 am

Great, thank you! I don't need precise control, so I thought that maybe is a way to do this without seperating on layers.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:22:18 am

I guess you are going to have to do this manually if each layer is to reveal it's particular shape (by it's own characteristics), at it's own time - it's pretty precise (for example T by the expanding from the conjunction of paths, then the E, then The M). if you just need a random expansion you could use something else based on the alpha of the overall word together i.e an effect. but it's not the same thing. if you discover some breakthrough technique , please share :)

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Emmett Brown
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:38:14 am

I think I'm missing something, could you please share project file?
As I can see you manualy adjust postion of every letter, if that's so, why you parent them?
I tried something else, cascade parenting tracking amount and finish on slider (null). That works great, tracking is working but masks doesn't follow letters. So I guess manual adjusting letter is solution? But then I don't understand parenting, could you please explain? :) Or share project file, that would be the best!
Cheers

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:43:37 am

Sure thing buddy. when you parent each layer to the previous and move all their transformations, you get a cool effect where there is an offset relationship. lose the tracking. just position to simulate the tracking. here is the project file:

10630_textrevealtracking.aep.zip

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Emmett Brown
on Sep 28, 2016 at 11:50:02 am

Oh, now I see how this works! Thanks again for all help, everything is now clear :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]