FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio files are trimmed down in my Ae Comp. mismatched frame rate?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roei Tzoref
audio files are trimmed down in my Ae Comp. mismatched frame rate?
on Sep 27, 2016 at 9:49:55 pm

I actually never noticed this before but it appears that when I drag some of my mp3 or WAV audio to my 25fps timeline it is trimmed as if it's has a different frame rate from my comps settings. I wasn't exactly sure audio has a frame rate...

here's an example - layer 3 and 2 are trimmed on sub frame or more than the others.

screenshot:

I assume I need not to worry about it, and I know this is lack of knowledge on my part, but please explain this to me or refer me to proper article about this.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: audio files are trimmed down in my Ae Comp. mismatched frame rate?
on Sep 27, 2016 at 10:21:50 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 27, 2016 at 10:40:04 pm

Two things:

1) I never trust mp3's in AE. Many times they work just fine, but when they don't, they're Hell On Earth.
2) I see the sample rate is 44.1 kHz. AE's default audio sample rate 48 kHz.

The solution: use Adobe Audition to make wav or aiff files: stereo, 16 or 24-bit, 48 kHz. Life should get better.

And if it doesn't, it's probably a bug.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:03:17 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:10:04 am

I tried it. still got trimming at 25fps and the audio extends a subframe

in 23.976 or 29.97 they are trimmed all the way as normal.

this happens in other versions CC2014, CS6. I believe this is a big lack of understanding on my part as to how audio works... if someone could explain it to me simple because as it seems, in some case audio comes with some kind of inherited frame rate?

maybe this is related: in the project panel it says it's 07:15 and it is so when I use it in 23.976 or 29.97. when I drag it to 25fps comp it's now 07:12

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 28, 2016 at 2:35:07 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 28, 2016 at 2:43:34 am

Now, you're aware that audio files don't normally have a frame rate, I bet. They have to be assigned a frame rate by the recording device. But you got rid of any frame rate metadata when you exported from Audition. At least I think so.

I don't know if I'd worry about it. What happens if you just move the out point in the 25 fps comp?

Ialso presume that you understand that audio in AE is a Right Royal Pain in the first place. It's so lousy that I only use it for a reference for timing. I don't render with audio. I fix audio issues in other applications. I have been doing it that way since 1998.

It took me a couple of years to figure out that AE REALLY SUCKS at audio. I guess I'm not that bright. If you want to use AE as an audio mixer, that's your call.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 28, 2016 at 8:25:51 am

[Dave LaRonde] "What happens if you just move the out point in the 25 fps comp?"

nothing really.. it's just get's trimmed further away.. just appearance that's all.

[Dave LaRonde] "I fix audio issues in other applications. I have been doing it that way since 1998."
I use audio in Ae but it's for reference most of the time. when I am done with my graphics or vfx, in the end an editor and others make the finishing touches. guess this one will remain another one of Ae's audio oddities.

Thank you for your time.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]