FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed variation in a 2d roller coaster

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Gallego
Speed variation in a 2d roller coaster
on Sep 24, 2016 at 6:10:16 pm

I'm having troubles to manage and understand how to do to get acceleration and deceleration with a shape following a path using the speed graph.
I understand what a curve means when it's going up or down.

This is my first attempt but applied to lettering https://goo.gl/HwDYP6

I think a 2d roller coaster is the best exercise to learn the use of speed variations. So I drew a path simulating a 2d roller coaster with the whole possibilities that a roller coaster could have without rotations (just hills, loopings downs... )

If I just try a loop part isolated, is easy to get the right speed at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the path. BUT if I try to make the speed modification having the whole roller coaster circuit together, I'm not able to adjust a correct speed variation for each stage.

I hope this message has sense. Thanks

Chris(tian)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Speed variation in a 2d roller coaster
on Sep 26, 2016 at 8:51:41 am

There are several ways of doing this, but my favorite one is to animate at constant speed, pre-compose and then apply Time Remap on the pre-comped layer. Now you have the ability to set keyframes where you want the speed changes to occur and shift those around to get the desired effect. It takes a few tries at first untilo you get used to the way Time Remap works but after that it's a breeze.
Pre-compositing the initial animation and applying Time Remap to that allows for AE to render real frames instead of blending existing frames ( as in the case of Time Remap on a rendered layer).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris Gallego
Re: Speed variation in a 2d roller coaster
on Oct 1, 2016 at 7:28:16 pm

I'm going to try it . Thanks for answer

Chris(tian)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]