FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cleaning a garage door

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Birket
Cleaning a garage door
on Sep 19, 2016 at 9:37:02 am

I tried posting here last week, but I am not sure if I am still being moderated, so it didn't seem to appear.

I have a short clip of some garage doors closing. I need to 'clean-up' the garage doors so have screengrabbed the final frame and cleaned it in Photoshop. Despite following several tutorials and Googling-like-crazy, I am not sure of the best process to use in AfX. I tried tracking and then clone-stamping but without much success (there are several dirty bits). I tried masking the clean bits of doors and tracking these (with tracked scale and position) but I couldn't get it to work.

If anybody has any pointers, that would be great. Here is a link to my source file.

GarageDoors.zip:
http://gofile.me/2GMja/NQ3XjeoTC

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards,
Rich

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Cleaning a garage door
on Sep 19, 2016 at 5:59:31 pm

My suggestion is to straighten out the door only in photoshop to a square image, then place it over the footage in AE with the corner pin effect applied to make it align to the door at the beginning and end points of the motion. Then easy ease the end. You don't have to follow the motion of the original door exactly, you just need make sure it doesn't show underneath the fake door during the animation. Then you can duplicate the original layer, bring it above the animated door and mask it at the door's left edge to make the moving door go behind it. Finally add a soft shadow at the edge between the two to give it some depth.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Rich Birket
on Sep 24, 2016 at 6:55:18 am

Thanks for the reply. This certainly would be a way to do it, and thanks for the suggestion.

I was hoping to be able to clone out the dirty bits and track the clone as this sort of thing comes up time and time again with my work: it isn't always garage doors ;-)

Kind Regards,
Rich

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 24, 2016 at 7:13:18 am

Yes, you could track it as well, but it seems unnecessary in this case.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Rich Birket
on Sep 26, 2016 at 1:50:20 pm

I have another shot now with a cracked column that needs painting out somehow. A replacement won't cut it this time because of perspective change etc.

I need to track a few clone-stamp brush swipes over the duration of the clip.

Kind Regards,
Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]