FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lock keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rohan Kolakkar
Lock keyframes
on Sep 12, 2016 at 10:42:43 am

can we lock our animation keyframes in after effects? so that no one can modify it.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Lock keyframes
on Sep 12, 2016 at 11:35:15 am

you can lock a layer and you won't be able to change any parameter for that layer until you unlock it.

Return to posts index

Rohan Kolakkar
on Sep 12, 2016 at 12:42:04 pm

Yes, That is to lock the layer. but client required my afx file. so i was looking for some kind of trick so that client can not reuse my afx file and at the same time he should not change the values. so is there any way ?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 12, 2016 at 1:08:43 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 12, 2016 at 1:20:27 pm

I see. this is not the first time I came across such a request. there are several ways you could lock the content in a way that changing it will be problematic, but isn't the whole idea of giving source files is to allow changes to the file later on? anyways, let's try to get creative with this. there are two ways that come to mind:
1. pre-render some of your comps, so there will be much less keyframes, just mostly rendered footage item
2. bake your key-frames via an expression. click alt+stopwatch, and type value. now right click on the property, go to Animation - > Key Frame Assistant -> Convert expression to keyframes. the animation will of course remain the same, but to change it will be a headache because instead of this

you will get this

Return to posts index

Rohan Kolakkar
on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:36:20 am

Thanks Roei Tzoref,
thats a great trick to confuse the client. :P

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:48:10 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:52:13 pm

I must ask: why does the client feel it is necessary to have the project file? For convenience? I would think receiving a completed animation would be even more convenient: just use it. No, it is to make changes so that the client doesn't have to pay you for them.

You've been shown a method to make changes MUCH more difficult. But not IMPOSSIBLE. If your agreement with the client includes delivery of the project files, it's the best you can do.

Some other thoughts on making things difficult: find obscure third-party plugins to use. If you have an expensive suite of plugins, make sure to use them for simple things. Or if the client wants to make text changes -- for example, name changes to an animated lower-third -- create a project file that allows text ONLY to be changed, which accompanies the rendered animation file.

There is only one sure way to assure your work is not used for new purposes to which you did not agree. Deliver a rendered animation. No project files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rohan Kolakkar
on Sep 12, 2016 at 4:54:22 pm

thanks for the valuable reply. thanks for giving me idea.

Regards,
Rohan Kolakkar

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 13, 2016 at 1:29:31 am

It is perfectly normal for some kinds clients to require project files: agencies and production companies. In cases like these, your work product *is* the project file, more so than the rendered video.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Rohan Kolakkar
on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:17:39 am

Hi Walter Soyka,
Thats true. as usual they said we have more upcoming project like this.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:57:10 pm

[Rohan Kolakkar] "...as usual they said we have more upcoming project like this."

And then on the next projects they will say, "Well, you gave us the project files before. We want them again."

If there is no legitimate reason to have the project file as Walter suggests, I do not envy you. If you can afford to pass on this project, you might think about doing so. At least use the techniques suggested to confuse the client or use plugins the client wouldn't have.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rohan Kolakkar
on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:13:16 pm

yes. I will use that trick. anyways thanks for the help.

Regards,
Rohan Kolakkar
senior visualizer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]